New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thoughts from a local beer competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Lodovico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Thoughts from a local beer competition

I attended a local beer competition this past weekend and it was a fun experience, but also a real eye opener.

I came away feeling pretty awesome about my beers! I couldn't believe how bad some of the beers were at this thing. I mean it was a small competition, probably 20 brewers or so, but man there were some styles I couldn't even finish a free sample of.

Some beers that were so out of style, that it was kind of a joke. It was only $10 and you got to keep a pretty cool little glass, but I was hoping for some really good beer.

I would love to actually enter it next year but it seemed like all of the winners had some sort of connection to the venue. When they announced the winners, they had a back story for each one and seemed to know them all personally.

Just sharing.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Well, the reason they all seemed to know each other is because homebrewing really is a "small world". Many of us like to talk beer all the time, so we join homebrewing clubs and we generally know about other clubs near our area. Also, some people are very much into competitions and enter many of their beers in them so that they are kind of "known" in an area.

Don't be intimidated by that at all! Homebrewers are a friendly and helpful group, and you can get support from others just like here on the forum.

You can also enter many other competitions, by sending in your entries. One big one is coming up- the AHA's national competition. You get a chance to get back some great criticism on your scoresheet as well as advance to the nationals. They have pretty nice ribbons, too!

Here's a link with the national competition: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/participate

Here's a link to the rest: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/calendar

Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Is there a listing I can find of small competitions? I have never competed and would love to do so!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, the reason they all seemed to know each other is because homebrewing really is a "small world". Many of us like to talk beer all the time, so we join homebrewing clubs and we generally know about other clubs near our area. Also, some people are very much into competitions and enter many of their beers in them so that they are kind of "known" in an area.

Don't be intimidated by that at all! Homebrewers are a friendly and helpful group, and you can get support from others just like here on the forum.

You can also enter many other competitions, by sending in your entries. One big one is coming up- the AHA's national competition. You get a chance to get back some great criticism on your scoresheet as well as advance to the nationals. They have pretty nice ribbons, too!

Here's a link with the national competition: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/participate

Here's a link to the rest: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/calendar
Yeah, I understand what you're saying and I've been sending my beers into competitions. I'm not intimidated by that, it just seemed like the beers that a lot of people were buzzing about, didn't win anything and it was too bad.

There was an American Pale Ale there that everyone was raving about and this guy was from out of town and didn't medal at all. I feel like he kind of got robbed because a few of the beers that won were no where near as good as this guy's beer.

Myself and others felt it was pretty political but I'm guessing that's not uncommon either. Oh well, it was still a good time.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Sometimes good isn't in style. The first competition I judged, the best beer of the flight got the second lowest score. A great Mild, entered as a Special Bitter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
ross3648
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Lodovico, Your from PA right? Why don't you enter your beer in the TRASH 20 Competition. See how your beer compares to some of the locals in Pittsburgh. Last year I think they had 190 entries, They give great feedback on your beers and the medals are nice. I don't know if the competition is posted yet, but I think it's in mid June or July. I'll be entering some of my Belgian Beers this year.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Subscribed for these links later. I'm on that other work computer that I always get interrupted on.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

This sounds like a competition that is different from most homebrewing competions based on:

Your claim that the judging was not fair (which I assume means it was not blind).
The fact that there were people who were not judging standing around drinking the beer, which implies that there was a lot of each beer.

Quick Reply