Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > thoughts on bottle conditioning temps.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
jmfitzgerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default thoughts on bottle conditioning temps.

so this has been my first year of home brewing... i've made a total of (3) 5g batches, all of which i thought turned out GREAT, but now back to a bit of reality and work, which keeps me on the road and away from home for long periods of time. so after solid fermentation temps, and bottling, and enjoying the brews, i've been storing my brews in the basement where it's been a pretty constant 68 with either heat or AC been on... but now that i'm not in the house, i usually turn the AC way up to 86, or off sometimes because it's silly to cool a house (even to 86) when no one is there... but now that i have some precious home brew, that I made i'm a bit concerned about temps in the basement with the AC off. will the higher temps cause "off flavors" or make it mature sooner? or will the yeast sill in the bottles be effected and react weird? should i of put them in the fridge vs sitting out in warmer temps? anybody have any experience with this, or thoughts?

thanks for some insight!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

First question, is how warm does it get in the basement with the AC off? The higher storage temps won't really cause the yeast to do anything weird, but they could speed up staling in the long run on some beers.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

well that's the problem... ha.. i've already left the house, with the AC off, and now getting worried. i think i'll have someone swing by the house and see what the temps are here SOON.

well i guess i'll just have to drink the beer quicker when i return home. they are summer brews anyway. 2 versions of a weisse, and a great american kiwi wheat (KiWheat), then brew more beer and refill the empty bottles

Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I keep my AC off when I'm not home. I have read that higher temps shouldn't cause any problems. Heck, we had a decent heat wave last week, my house got up in the 90's during the day. I've got over 100 bottles conditioning so I sure hope it's not a problem!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's no real worry about too high temps during bottle carbing. In fact you need temps above 70 to ensure good carbonation development. I've often had the temps up high in my place when away and never had an issues from off flavors during carbing/conditioning.

You're good.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeast like higher temps but so do other bacteria. We do our best to minimize contamination but we don't work in a perfect environment. Once carbonated you really should get them at least to cellar temp.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I haven't done any actual testing and most of my beers get consumed before staling can happen but I listened to an interesting podcast by Dr. Charlie Bamforth a few months ago. It was supposed to be about hotside aeration but towards the end of his very technical description of what hotside aeration is and does he brought out the point that the worst thing you can do to your beer for staling is storing it at warm temperatures (this would be after full carbonation has been achieved in the bottle). I don't remember the specific numbers but it was something like for each 10° C above the best storage temp (around 40° F) the shelf life of the beer is reduced by about 30%. If I remember right, once you get above about 85° F shelf life is under 30 days.

To get the exact numbers listen to the Brewstrong podcast on Hotside aeration

Quick Reply