Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > To those who have done double brew days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
born3z
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default To those who have done double brew days

I have a bit of a problem. You see, the last couple of weeks I had planned to brew but, was unable to for whatever reason. Now, I have two kegs getting low and nothing to replace them with. I'm planning a double brew day this weekend and am wondering how much more time to budget?

I know I can shave some time by overlapping the mash and boil a bit. Although, I don't want to be cooling wort when it's time to sparge.

Any other time saving tips? Or any suggestions at all to help my brew day run as smooth as possible? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can only speak for myself but I usually start my second mash with about 20-30 minutes left in the boil. So I figure when the 60 minutes are up by then I will have my first batch cooled and in the fermenter as I am starting run off from the 2nd mash. Assuming I start the mash with 20 minutes left that gives me 40 minutes from flameout to cool down, clean the leaf hops out of the kettle, oxygenate, and get my carboy in a swamp cooler. I also want to try running off enough wort for 2 batches of the same beer, however with a 10 gallon kettle this will still require 2 boils but I would keg one and bottle the other.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by born3z
I have a bit of a problem. You see, the last couple of weeks I had planned to brew but, was unable to for whatever reason. Now, I have two kegs getting low and nothing to replace them with. I'm planning a double brew day this weekend and am wondering how much more time to budget?

I know I can shave some time by overlapping the mash and boil a bit. Although, I don't want to be cooling wort when it's time to sparge.

Any other time saving tips? Or any suggestions at all to help my brew day run as smooth as possible? Thanks!
I use the kitchen stove to help heat up water. Just start the next mash once you're done sparging. You're gonna boil and mash for an hour anyway. You'll be done cooling before the second boil is done.

You need two pots to save time. It really does only add an hour or so if you can time it perfectly. The key to that is having all your water at the right temp ready to go, all your ingredients ready to go.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can do a double in only 60-90 minutes longer than a single.
This is on a 5 gal BIAB setup and I mash in a normal, unconverted cooler while I heat strike water for the 2nd batch.

I'm actually doing doubles now to free up a weekend day and minimize cleanups.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 185

The plate chiller saves time cooling 13gal of wort. Start early in the day, first light if you can. Mill the grains the night before. Thats all I got. It would helpfull to know your set-up; Keggel with a goal of 24-28gal?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
born3z
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling
The plate chiller saves time cooling 13gal of wort. Start early in the day, first light if you can. Mill the grains the night before. Thats all I got. It would helpfull to know your set-up; Keggel with a goal of 24-28gal?
I'm doing 5 gal batches in a 10 gal pot. Mash in a rectangle cooler. Brewing two separate beers. A shandy and an APA.

I plan on using the stove to heat strike water while I'm boiling the first batch and starting the second mash with about twenty minutes left in the boil as suggested.

I'll definitely have my ingredients ready with the grains milled ahead of time. Also, will have all my water volumes calculated so I know what I will need for the strike and sparge.

I'm guessing when I add the time to reach boil temp, the 60 min boil time and the time it takes to cool, I'll be looking at about two hours extra.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

I recently did my first double batch, and it added another 2 hours to my brew day. I'm sure that will get better as I improve the process...

Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 185

It sounds like your doing great. I like that your doing 2 different beers. I did 10gal of stout and now I am sick of it. You may have to hit several temps and times for hop additions. Get a game plan for how the brew's are going to go. I use a dry-erase board for my game plan. I use my I-phone as a multi-timer. Make notes of how long things took and why. For example, I had a blocked drain because I used fresh hops and that added 2hrs to my brew day.
Good luck, Mike

Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
born3z
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling
It sounds like your doing great. I like that your doing 2 different beers. I did 10gal of stout and now I am sick of it. You may have to hit several temps and times for hop additions. Get a game plan for how the brew's are going to go. I use a dry-erase board for my game plan. I use my I-phone as a multi-timer. Make notes of how long things took and why. For example, I had a blocked drain because I used fresh hops and that added 2hrs to my brew day.
Good luck, Mike
I like the dry erase board idea. I usually write my process on paper but, having it easy to see seems like it would be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions! Got some preparing to do. Can't wait to brew all day, enjoy some homebrew and sit in the sun!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
VagabondBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I honestly didn't read much of this thread but saw one poster who basically hit it on the nail for the process I do.

I currently do double brews every time I brew. I give around 30min left on the boil to start the next mash so I have time to cool and clean equipment for the next boil. it takes us about 5 hours with a good process maybe 6 overall and this is assuming 60min mash time and 60min boil time. So depending on your process, basically start your next mash with enough time between finishing and cooling your next boil so it can be set up for the next brew.

Quick Reply