The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thinking of making an amber lite beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
CatHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default Thinking of making an amber lite beer.

I need to cut a few calories and while looking at recipes I came across Miller Lite Clone in the light hybrid recipe section. It uses Amylase to get the FG down to 1.00 and achieve the lite beer affect. I occasionally buy Michelob Ultra Amber for when I want to cut calories and pretend I am drinking a bigger beer. I was wondering if I took an amber ale recipe and reduced the grains to get a OG around the same as the Miller Lite recipe from above and reduce the hops to the appropriate amounts would I get something similar to the Michelob Ultra Amber. I am only going to make a 2.5 gallon batch to try it out but thought I would run it by the forums to see if there are any ideas. I know it will kill the body and most the flavor but I think it may be nice for when I want a lighter beer with a little more alcohol than some of the low alcohol, low calorie recipes out there, I will be using some of those as well and won't be giving up my regular beers, just supplementing.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Sure I think that will work well. In fact Ill be following this closely to see if there is anyone who has a recipe. I have all the ingredients for that miller lite clone and I might try going a little more amber.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Try adding some flaked grains to the mash, or maybe some corn sugar at the end of the boil. Either will thin the beer out a bit, but not reduced the alcohol.

Quick Reply