Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thinking about Christmas/Winter Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #21
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Crap, now I have too many beers I want to brew and I'm already faced with a backlog of other beers I don't have time to brew.

Too many beers not enough time.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I went a really different direction for XXX-mas this year. I am doing a dark saison with brett and some winter-y spices. It will either be really good or really gross.

It's about three months in with a nice brett pellicle.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
If you ever have the chance to eat at Uchiko in Austin I highly recommend it. That being said...

149 degree mash for 90 minutes

12 lbs. Munich
8lbs. Maris Otter
8oz. 40L
8oz. 60L
8oz. 90L
4oz. Special B
2oz. Black patent

FWH 40IBUs. I've used a few different hops in this recipe and find that the variety makes little difference as I'm not really shooting for any hop character, so I just use whatever high AA hop I happen to have on hand.

For the spices everything goes in at flameout.

1oz. Crystalized Ginger
1/2 tbs fresh ground cinnamon
1/2 tbs fresh ground nutmeg
1 tsp clove

Pitch a huge starter of wyeast pacman at 60 degrees. Ferment out then rack and lager for at least 6 weeks. However the best batch I ever made was lagered for a full 4 months before I bottled it. When it's young the spices taste pretty strong but by the time it's ready to drink... 6 months it's perfect
Homebrewtastic, is this a 5 or 10 gallon recipe? If it's a 5 then the OG has to be in the 1.090-1.100 range?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
Thanks! That recipe looks fantastic! The best part is I can get Munich malt for .79 a pound! hahahahaha I also like the Midas Touch recipe above as well!

I modded a recipe I saw here from I think DubbelDac, for my peppermint chocolate baltic porter.(Sorry DD, I would have provided the link but I can not seem to find it...) This is my version and notes. Mine has been aging in bottles since late January. I had planned on tying a Hershey's chocolate candy cane to the bottle with a pipe cleaner also DD's idea.

Peppermint Chocolate Baltic Porter

Size: 6 gallons
OG 1.085
FG 1.010
ABV 10%
IBU 30.5

12# 2-row
3# Munich
1# flaked oats
1# crystal 40L
0.5# chocolate barley
0.5# chocolate wheat
0.5# of pure cocoa powder (Hershey’s unsweetened) @ 15 Min
0.25# of pure DARK cocoa powder (Hershey’s unsweetened) @ 15 Min
0.5# of lactose @ 15 Min
1# honey

* 1 oz chocolate extract to secondary
**1 oz vanilla extract to secondary

E.K.G. and Willamette 32 grams of ea @ 60 min + 14 grams of each @ 30 min.

yeast: Wyeast Scottish ale 1728

Notes: In hind sight the cocoa powder dropped out of suspension in primary, made a huge mess in my keggles and I lost 1/3 of the batch to thesludge in kettles+trub in primary which was mostly cocoa...I have since switched to chocolate nibs. I would use .75 lbs in the boil and another .25 lbs in secondary if needed. I think the nibs + extract worked well in a different beer so I would go that route again. The peppermint I used a few drops of peppermint extract (the good stuff in the baking isle) and a few oz of schnapps. I tasted after each addition until I felt I had it right. I think 4-6 months would be enough to age this out...

Now, I will have 3 beers and I have just thought about this one (Not that this would be an award winner but what if we come up with a super "piney" IPA I am thinking "tastes like a Xmas tree..." piney. (What would be the best hops to use?)
This will give me 4 beers and if my sour works out that is 5 if not I will have 4...I am then only 1 or 2 away from a 6er! #@$&! You guys all suck...In the best possible way!
What about using all Chinook? Maybe a recipe could look something like this. Re-using my Maharaja Clone recipe.

Grains:
16.5 lb 2 Row Malt
.5 lb Victory malt
.5 lb Crystal 120L Malt
Hops:
2 oz Chinook @ 60 min
1 oz Chinook @ 30 min
2.5 oz Chinook @ 0 min
2.5 oz Chinook @ 0 min
4.5 oz Chinook - Dry Hop
2.5 oz Chinook - Dry Hop
2 oz Chinook - Dry Hop
Yeast:
2 Vials White Labs California Ale 001

Fine Creek Brewery

Secondary:

Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
McBrewskie
Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Thinking of doing an oaked wee heavy. Would you guys take a look at recipe and tell me if it'd work? It'll only be about my 3rd or 4th batch.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1856 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
Crap, now I have too many beers I want to brew and I'm already faced with a backlog of other beers I don't have time to brew.

Too many beers not enough time.

You & me both,man! I've got 5 recipes scribbled down that I thought up while reading/researching on line,+ the one or two in my head! I just thought the "Midas Gold" I put together was cool because it was from the tomb of King Midas himself in Turkey. They've been excavating it since '51 or so. They buried the beer with him 2,700 years ago! How's that for classic brewing?
They say the flavor is between a wine & an ale. I gotta brew this one for Christmas! That micro archeologist figured out what was in it,had a paper posted on line,& approached Sam at DFH to try & brew it. Sam is known as an extreme brewer,so it was a ligical fit...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
You & me both,man! I've got 5 recipes scribbled down that I thought up while reading/researching on line,+ the one or two in my head! I just thought the "Midas Gold" I put together was cool because it was from the tomb of King Midas himself in Turkey. They've been excavating it since '51 or so. They buried the beer with him 2,700 years ago! How's that for classic brewing?
They say the flavor is between a wine & an ale. I gotta brew this one for Christmas! That micro archeologist figured out what was in it,had a paper posted on line,& approached Sam at DFH to try & brew it. Sam is known as an extreme brewer,so it was a ligical fit...
They had Midas on tap at my local pub and it's a really good beer.

I like these Baltic Porter ideas too but if I have to lager these then I may have to pass. I'm not quite set up for lagering yet. I'm wondering if I can top ferment instead?

Fine Creek Brewery

Secondary:

Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #28
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewskie View Post
Thinking of doing an oaked wee heavy. Would you guys take a look at recipe and tell me if it'd work? It'll only be about my 3rd or 4th batch.
Absolutely.

Fine Creek Brewery

Secondary:

Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #29
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default X - mas tree IIPA aka Piney the Elfer

X - mas tree IIPA aka Piney the Elfer

DISCLAIMER: Before I even get started with this there seems to be some health concerns revolving around pine needle tea and pregnant/potentially pregnant women. This will be the only warning that I give. I am not responsible for what happens to you or what you serve to people or what they do with this beer! The recipes I found called for boiling 1/2 cup of chopped needles for 20 minutes in 1.5 Pints of water. My beer recipe will NOT be using the needles in that high of a concentration but that does not make it safe for pregnant/potentially pregnant women!

SIDE NOTE: the above tea recipe will provide 100% RDA of vitamin C but the longer they are boiled past 20 minutes the less Vitamin C will be present. At this point this is an UNTESTED recipe, I am guessing as to how it will be! continuing on...

If you intend on doing this you will need to get the fresh shoots from the ends of the branches. These are bright green. The best time to gather these will be the spring/early summer, in other words, NOW! Also, from what I have read, the best needles to use are from "White Pine".

Storing the needles: I will be gathering the needles, rinsing them off, chopping them into 1/2 cup batches, rolling as much air out of the ziplocks, then freezing these bags until it is closer to X-mas. Since this is an IPA recipe it should not be aged. I am planning to brew mine in Mid-November. I will gather up 2 cups of finely chopped pine needles total, placed into 4 bags.

Here is my modded recipe from the original PTE clone:

Batch size: 6 gallon

15 lb Two-row pale malt
10 oz Crystal 40L
10 oz lb Carapils (Dextrin) malt
8 oz Dextrose (corn sugar) @ flameout

.50 oz Chinook 90 mins
.50 oz Simcoe 30 mins
1 oz Simcoe 15 mins
1 oz Chinook 15 mins
1 oz Simcoe 0 mins
1 oz Chinook 0 mins

Pine needle additions: @ 30, 20, 15 and 10

Dry hop:
0.50 oz Chinook (12 to 14 days total)
0.50 oz Simcoe (12 to 14 days total)

0.25 oz Chinook (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz Simcoe (5 days to go in dry hop)

Mash at 151
Mash out 168

*Due to the Simcoe shortage sub Falconer's Flight if needed.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #30
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
What about using all Chinook?
You can try what ever you like! Mine is not hoppy at all. It really does not even taste like beer anymore! To me it tastes like a liquid Andies Candy Mint Patty. Also, I have not lagered mine at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewskie View Post
Fantastic Idea! Wee heavy ales are awesome when it is cold outside! I am actually brewing up a smoked whiskey barrel wee heavy. I just pitched the yeast 48 hours ago but I went heavy on the smoke so I do not have a tested recipe to share. These tend to need some aging so brew it soon!

Some other Ideas I have been kicking around are a milk stout with a small bag of cookie crisp cereal attached to the outside of the bottle in a small ziploc for "Santa's Cookies and Milk" stout. A Golden Ale using as much "gold" named ingredients as possible with an incense stick/cone of myrrh an frankincense attached to the bottle (Gifts of the magi) and if my Old Fuzzy Wig goes south, I may attempt a cranberry wit. Man there are going to be some happy people I know this year!!!

Quick Reply