Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thin white layer on top, infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
rgarcia128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thin white layer on top, infection?

So a few weeks back I posted about my beer stinking up a storm after a month in primary. I racked to secondary and the smell died down significantly but this thin layer of white (looks like thin, solidified lard on top of water)!!!

I am freaking out. I am supposed to bottle this weekend but am wondering if I should even bother with it? I attached pictures let me know if any of you have had this before, and when bottled everything was fine.

dsc09263.jpg

dsc09264.jpg

dsc09267.jpg

I really hope I can bottle, I don't want to waste the beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yeah looks like you have something in there. Doesn't mean it's ruined though. Carefully pull a sample from under the skin and taste it. If it's nasty it's lost but if it taste fine even a little funky, you can still bottle it and drink it quickly.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Andrewtherooster
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, that's definitely got some bugs in it. What sort of style of beer is this? Have you taken a hydrometer sample? If you've still got fermentables in this, you can change the character with added bugs/yeast. If you taste it and it's too funky or weird, maybe add some sour bottle dregs, or other yeast/bacteria and let it sit.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
rgarcia128
Recipes 

I am making a Nut Brown Ale, used English Ale Yeast. I took the hydrometer sample when I first transferred the beer into secondary, it had not reached final gravity so I assume what you are saying is correct. I was planning on adding more yeast 3 days before bottling, wondering if I should do this now. I will taste it later today or tomorrow and take second hydrometer sample to see if anything has changed.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Why were you gonna add more yeast 3 days before bottling?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
coastwx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I added whole hops to the primary one time and got something similar. It was mold. Open it up and smell for stale moldy smell. On a brighter note, I transferred all but the top few inches into a keg and the beer came out ok. If I recall correctly, it did have a faint mold taste initially, but once cooled and carbonated, it was fine.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
rgarcia128
Recipes 

[Revvy] My recipe book told me to??? lol. I think the concept is add yeast three days before bottling to ensure carbonation in the bottles. Three days is supposed to give it enough time to make sure yeast is suspended in the beer before bottling.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarcia128 View Post
[Revvy] My recipe book told me to??? lol. I think the concept is add yeast three days before bottling to ensure carbonation in the bottles. Three days is supposed to give it enough time to make sure yeast is suspended in the beer before bottling.
You don't need to do that. If the beer's sat in secondary for like a year you might need to add more yeast BUT you just add some into your bucket when you are bottling. Not days before.

Just bottle normally.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Toss that better bottle, and anything else plastic that touched that wort. You don't want to cross contaminate any other batches.

I know it means throwing away about $50 worth of stuff, but it's not worth rolling the dice.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
dmckean44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Toss that better bottle, and anything else plastic that touched that wort. You don't want to cross contaminate any other batches.

I know it means throwing away about $50 worth of stuff, but it's not worth rolling the dice.
There's really no need to do that, a strong bleach solution will kill everything. I'd toss the hoses and get new because they're cheap but there's no reason to toss a better bottle.

Quick Reply