which of these firkin ideas do you like best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
o.k. so..... i have to make a firkin to be sent to the british beer fest in a few weeks. which of these ideas do you guys like better.

english style brown ale with pecan rum soaked oak cubes.

english style brown ale with nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, ginger, and allspice. basically gingerbread beer.

english style pale ale with pineapple and dryhopped with saaz.

wheat beer brewed with coriander and orange peel with an addition of chamomile and lavender tea.

any firkin beer you'll brew!

wakka wakka wakka!

I like the nutmeg/cinnamon/clove/ginger/allspice combo that would be an interesting tasty beer

i was thinking the pecan rum soaked oak cubes. sounds delicious to me.

ive already made the lavender chamomile firkin for a recent beer fest and it went over really well. came out great, so i also wouldnt mind making another one of these. im thinking the brits will like an english style brown ale better however.

Yeah, I really like the idea behind the pecan rum soaked cubes.
I've never tried doing anything like that (have always been afraid that the rum flavor would be too pronounced -when all I'd really want is a hint).

Why not just make a normal beer?
(I really get annoyed when all cask beer has to be weird.)

I just got a used oak barrel that still has a bit of rum in it from the distiller and should be good for flavoring a few batches, and I've considered putting an English brown ale in it... anybody have any experience with the style having a touch of rum and oak flavor to it? Does it work well?

OP, if you do this, update us on how it turned out!

Why not just make a normal beer?
(I really get annoyed when all cask beer has to be weird.)

While I get what you are saying, I think this is almost like asking, "why do you have to get your ham sandwich dressed? Can't it just be a ham sandwich?"

But ya, some ham is so good you don't want to mask it with blue plate mayo. :)

I like the pecan beer too

o.k. so..... i have to make a firkin to be sent to the british beer fest in a few weeks. which of these ideas do you guys like better.

Are you from a commercial brewery? If so, which one? I'll be at the the Great British Beer Festival and would like to keep an eye out for your beer. I do try to stick to the British beers only but I am sucker for some of the styles coming from the US and I can't always help myself...

+1 on the pecan rum soaked oak cubes. However messing with beer like this definitely means it's no longer 'English style'!!

Good luck!

Something about the pineapple is throwing me off. But I loves me some Saaz hops.

I have to go with the pecan brown, though. Call it "How Now, Pecan Brown"

ColonelForbin said:

english style brown ale with nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, ginger, and allspice. basically gingerbread beer.

wheat beer brewed with coriander and orange peel with an addition of chamomile and lavender tea.

My first instinct was to shout out "rum soaked oak cubes!" but then I read the pineapple dry hopped with saaz and started to drool. I don't think that you could go wrong with either of these and am excited to see what you pick.

Are you from a commercial brewery? If so, which one? I'll be at the the Great British Beer Festival and would like to keep an eye out for your beer. I do try to stick to the British beers only but I am sucker for some of the styles coming from the US and I can't always help myself...

+1 on the pecan rum soaked oak cubes. However messing with beer like this definitely means it's no longer 'English style'!!

Good luck!

yes, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company. If you get to try our firkin definitely tell me how it was since no one from the company will be there.

pineapple is decently acidic so if you went that route i'd go light on it and monitor the ph a little. if i had to vote i'd also go with the pecan rum oak cubes

ColonelForbin said:
yes, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company. If you get to try our firkin definitely tell me how it was since no one from the company will be there.

Cool, will keep an eye out for it and let you know what me and my buddies think!

I vote the pecan beer, Lazy Magnolia pecan brown rocks. Although I can't say the same for the rest of their offering Indian Summer(Too much coriander) and Jefferson Sweet potato stout(No Sweet potato and basically a bland dark ale)
If you do it and its good, pleeeaase post a recipe.

upperNY01brewer said:
English style Pale Ale with Pineapple is my vote...And I'd like to see the recipe

If the OP (or anybody else) is going to do that brew, you REALLY need to hit it with some Brett C.

I'd also personally go with Nelson Sauvin hops instead of Saaz to really push the tropical fruit, but Brett C. seems like an absolute MUST.

ColonelForbin said:

FWIW a few years ago I started an annual beer that I named "The Gingerbread Man Cometh". It's an imperial (Baltic) porter brewed with the spices to which you were referring... Sans the allspice.

It is hands down the best beer I've ever brewed and to this beer remains to be my favorite bottle of beer ever.

So I know that flavor profile works in a beer. While mine was a different style they're both malt focused styles and I bet yours would be great. Happy brewing!

Choice number one all the way.

Although, although:
If the OP (or anybody else) is going to do that brew, you REALLY need to hit it with some Brett C.

I'd also personally go with Nelson Sauvin hops instead of Saaz to really push the tropical fruit, but Brett C. seems like an absolute MUST.

This is something that should be looked into for some future brew.

Back