The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thermometer placement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
DaBills
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default Thermometer placement

I am buying a 100 quart kettle to do double batch BIAB: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...100/p5180.aspx. I am thinking about getting the sightglass/thermo combo but I want my sightglass to be as low on the pot as possible. My question is if I get the combo will the thermometer be too close to the heat source? I plan on having a heat shield as well. Or would I be better off getting a thermo separate from the sightglass?

Go Bills!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I bought the combo site glass/thermometer from Bobby M. I bet I have less than a 1/2" between the bottom of my kettle and the thermometer probe. Works just awesome with no ill effect from being that low. Great product and great customer service too.

http://www.brewhardware.com/wlsightg...al-thermometer

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you want to be able to get temperature readings from more than one spot, you'll need to do something else. In my case, that was getting a quality (digital) thermometer that uses type K sensors. I have ones that you can submerge into extremely high temperature fluids (easily more than boiling) so I can get a reading from several locations without issue.

I know Bobby_M sells a lot of the combo items, and they're fine for the majority. I just find that thermometers installed into a MLT, HLT or BK just shy of useless. At best, you'll get the reading of what's right there. A few inches in any direction can be a different temperature, but you'll never know. What he sells is significantly cheaper than what I'm using. So, if you want to go the lower cost route, get the fitting from Bobby_M. I would also get (a the very least) a long stem instant/fast read digital thermometer too.

Besides, having the fixed thermometer probe sticking in from the side could be a bad thing for BIAB. Unless your bag will never actually touch it (so it can't rip on it) that is.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
DaBills Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
DaBills
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Thanks for replies. I plan to use a digital thermometer for mashing just by sticking it in the grains from the top after stirring like a madman. I mostly wanted the thermometer for when I'm cooling so I don't have to take measurements by sticking a thermo in the top. I know it's not really accurate for mashing but will give me a ball park estimate at least.

Goldiggie can you send me a link for a thermometer similar to the one you have?

Go Bills!

Quick Reply