The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is there such thing as bad hops??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
John8251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default is there such thing as bad hops??

just opened two packages of centennial hops (raw hops) back to back. first one was very green with a great aroma. the second bag the leaves were greenish brownish and almost had somewhat of a "foot-like" smell to them. they just didnt smell good. has anybody ever had this experience? is it my overprotectiveness of my beer thats making me hesitant to use these hops? these are for my dry hopping btw.

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions."

Centerseat Brewing Co.
Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottled: Hop Nosh Clone
On Deck: Brew Free or Die Clone
Gone but not forgotten: Raging Red Irish Ale, Imperial Chocolate Rye Cinammon Porter, Ruin Your Face IIPA, BM's Nierra Sevada, Maris Otter IPA, Citra Session IPA, BM's Blue Balls, Raspberry Wheat, E Brown Ale, 60 Minute IPA, Grapefruit Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Old and oxydized hops get brown and cheesy. Your instincts were correct; do not use those hops.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Also, I'd check with whatever store you bought them from and see if they'll replace the bad hops.

I got a bum pack of hops that I had ordered from Northern Brewer. I contacted them and they sent out a replacement pack without any further questions.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKABrewer
Old and oxydized hops get brown and cheesy. Your instincts were correct; do not use those hops.
+1
Return them

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
stz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Not sure if it counts as the same 'problem' but brewed a couple of batches using summit hops as the bittering and 30 minute aroma contributions. They are pretty mean in the bottle, one beer tastes pretty savoury and the other is quite smooth, but still, not sure I'd use them again.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
John8251
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Called annapolis homebrew and they credited me the price of the hops in an online gift card..said that some air must've gotten in them and ruined them...thank god I had an extra ounce of centennial in the fridge! Had never really heard of oxidized hops before but knew something was wrong. Just a great excuse to get more hops than I need next time, just in case

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions."

Centerseat Brewing Co.
Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottled: Hop Nosh Clone
On Deck: Brew Free or Die Clone
Gone but not forgotten: Raging Red Irish Ale, Imperial Chocolate Rye Cinammon Porter, Ruin Your Face IIPA, BM's Nierra Sevada, Maris Otter IPA, Citra Session IPA, BM's Blue Balls, Raspberry Wheat, E Brown Ale, 60 Minute IPA, Grapefruit Blonde

signpost Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Yup- it's an important smell to learn. Probably just a pinhole in the bag let some air in. Glad everything worked out for you.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Supurb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I bought some for a quarter from the vending machine at the petting zoo. I thought it was a great deal. Don't buy your hops from the petting zoo.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Homebrewers have a VERY interesting hop issue. I would venture to say that 90% of them have no clue that hops vary from farm to farm even if they are called the same thing. At the brewery we record them in lots as either A or B. B hops suck.

The most noticeable hops with this issue are cascade. I actually thought I just hated cascade hops. Turns out I must have gotten a few bags of "B" lot cascades. After trying the "A" lot, I like them...

As for the OP the hops sound old/oxidized. However, you may want to consider opening them up and aging them in a brown paper bag for a year out of refrigeration to be used in sour beers. I have a bunch going now just for that reason. Also glad to hear things worked out for you.

Quick Reply