The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is there Homebrew supply store etiquette?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
ryanme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is there Homebrew supply store etiquette?

I went to buy a starter kit from the homebrew store in my town. The store employee seemed rather cranky with my questions. I waited patiently for 30 minutes while she helped 2 other people. I didn't touch anything. I basically looked over book shelves, to see if there was a brewing book I wanted to buy. When I finaly got service. The employee seemed rather annoyed when I asked about a ballpark figure on startup equipment and an easy recipe kit. The way the employee was acting, I must have done something wrong, to have the person making it pretty clear they didn't care about my business.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah yes, the "we are to cool for you" it's like tattoo parlors some are cool sme are asses and most it's hit or miss.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:57 AM   #3
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe you did 'do something'. Tone, body language--- any number of things could have given the clerk a negative impression.

Or it could have totally not been about you. Maybe the clerk was having a bad day or was supposed to be off but her relief hadn't shown up yet.

Or maybe your impression of the clerk was wrong. Maybe you didn't realize how irritated the 30 minute wait had made you and you were being overly sensitive and misinterpreting the clerk.

*shrug* If it were me I'd chalk it up to **** happens and move on.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 AM   #4
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Or maybe the level of customer service that you enjoyed or didn't enjoy degraded to the point where it really did suck. I'm just saying customer service just ain't what it used to be.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Bring in a couple of bottles of something yummy and share it with the staff and other shoppers. Instant cred.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:28 AM   #6
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm pretty new at this, but my LHBS guys seem to go out of their way to help.

They even gave me a business card and told me to call if i had any questions before, during or after the brew.

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
apparatus

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have been to a LHBS here in my hometown and had the same experience you describe. The guy was not very friendly or forthcoming with information. When I would ask a question I would get a very generic one word answer. I was in need of supplies so made a small purchase. I have been back a few times to get things I need and the guy now recognizes me and is much more friendly. But I have also visited a HBS about 40 miles from my home town where they are very fiendly and extremely willing to answer questions and help in any way they can. That is the place I am taking my business. I used to order most everything online but decided I would like to support a local HBS if the cost was close to comparable. Needless to say I drive the 40 miles and have spent several hundred dollars there over the past couple of months that I could have spent at the shop in my hometown if the guy would have just been a little bit service oriented.

Apparatus

Old 08-09-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Bring in a couple of bottles of something yummy and share it with the staff and other shoppers. Instant cred.
WERD. just make sure it's cool before taking the bottles in the shop.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #9
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As much I like to support local business, there are too many good retailers online for me to put up with crappy service and bad attitudes.

If you didn't get satisfactory answers, ask your questions here and we'll help you get into a setup and get you going.

Welcome to the forum!

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 08-09-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Customer is King in my book. I agree with Swami75. Ask your questions here, buy your stuff online. I've purchased from Morebeer.com, Williamsbrewing.com, Grapeandgranary.com, and Breworganic.com recently and each was a great transaction. I am fortunate to live in Austin where I have a great HBS with loads of helpful folks.

This forum has been a tremendous help in my getting back in the game too!

Stores that treat customers that way obviously don't want your business.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply