New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is there a good dog fish head?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Joos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

never tried their stout.i heard it was good though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I really like the DFH 60 minute as an "every day" beer. I don't taste any hint of fuggles in it, though. Definitely got some piney and definitely some citrusy, but no "earthy" than I can pick out.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hmmm, if you are a traditional beer drinker probably not - they don't really make any. If you are into things that are a bit "different" then maybe... I kinda need to be in the mood for DFH. I really like a few of theirs including Raison d' etre and Midas Touch but a lot of times I am in the mood for a traditional style and they just don't fit that bill. It's definitely a brand where YMMV.

-Craig

Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I like the 60 min IPA a lot but I do not think it is worth $11/sixer

Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #15
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have not had many of their beers. 60 and 90 minute, Indian Brown, and raison de etre and the peche, whatever its name is. I just picked up some palo santo marron but have not tried it yet.

I like them. Not wildly fanatical about them. I cannot remember details about the 60 minute I had it at a brewfest served from the overrated randall. I do remember being slightly underwhelmed after hearing all the hype but thinking it was good. The 90 minute is nice but I feel a bit on the sweet and underattenuated side. Give me a Ruination over that any day. Must be an east coast thing. Maltier and sweeter. Indian brown, well, I don't care for American brown ales (or stouts or porters for that matter) I like those to be malty and not citrusy/hoppy.

They are really about pushing boundaries. Some experiments work great others not so much. Respectable and worth trying though at least once I believe.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #16
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have had a few, but they hold themselves in very high regard and that keeps me from dropping that kind of cash on beer I can make myself. I too would take a Stone Runination, Arrogant Bastard, or Oaked Arrogant Bastard over any Dogfish brew any day.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #17
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Dogfish is a kind of polarizing brewery... I dig the variety and the wacky stuff they come up with...

I couldn't stand Midas Touch the first time I tried it... I didn't know what to expect when I bought it, I just bought it because I was bound and determined to try everything they brewed that I could find... I now enjoy it much more, but I don't get it all that often... Same with Burton Baton, Immort'ale, Palo Santo, Pangea, Chateau Jiahu, etc etc etc...

I will get Chicory Stout and Punkin when the time comes around each year... I haven't been fortunate enough to try the 120 Minute or World Wide Stout... I did get to try some beers on tap at the brewpub and they were great... Theobroma was good... Luckily I found a bottle at my local liquor store...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #18
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
you guys think the sixty is malty?maybe its just me but i taste no malt at all.fore said bag of fuggles.If the sixty is too malty don't ever drink a boch or even an ale.
Maybe malty isn't he right word. It is the toasty flavor that is too pronounced for an IPA in my opinion. I like hop-forward IPAs more. I like it, but I like stone IPA and Two Hearted ale better.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I really need to try the Palo Santo Marron. I read a long article about the whole making of that beer and it was intriguing and inspiring. I haven't even tried it yet, and I've already looked to see if that wood is available in chips or sticks (it is, but spendy), in case I ever want to attempt a clone.

I suppose it's like Samuel Adams, not everyone likes the beer but most people at least respect what they are doing.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #20
surfbrewer
Recipes 

I took two sips of their 120 and poured it down the drain. I've heard that if you let it sit for a year or more it is pretty good but that wasn't my experience. Haven't tried any of their others.

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Quick Reply