Is there a good dog fish head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joos

Reaction score
I'm sure i'm gonna get a lot of negative comments on this one,but to me(even as a hop head)The 60 min. ipa is decent and the 90 is drinkable.I just don't find any of their beers...umm...good.Don't get me wrong i'll take em over any BMC any day.But my favorite (the 60 min.) tastes like eating a bag of fuggles.

I thought the 120 minute was like 7up beer and a shot of vodka. I bought a 4pack of old skool barleywine the other day... same taste. I like the 60 minute a lot, although it seems overly malty to me for an IPA. 90 is way too malty, and I love double IPAs. I like the India Brown Ale. Punk, meh. Raison, way too sweet, tastes like tussin. I have had several others. None I want to make 5 gallons of. I want to like them. I just don't.

Some people like their beers, others do not. I have only had a few Dogfish beers, but have enjoyed every one. I have more respect for the fact that they are willing to try something totally out there just to see if it can be done.

Pretty much the same here. Their beers all seem too sweet to me, not that they are not good, but there are quite a few beers I would choose first.

Ok, I do go for the 60 Minute on occasion, but I feel like I can get stuff that is just as good for cheaper.

I haven't had all of them, but have no real complaints. I like maltier IPAs, so I do dig the 60 for sure. The 90 is great too-but borders on too much (can't throw them back by any stretch). The 120 IMO-is just hoppy and alcoholic for the sake of being hoppy and alcoholic, and is way too sweet. I REALLY like the India Brown though...will probably try to formulate something like it for an upcoming brew.

you guys think the sixty is malty?maybe its just me but i taste no malt at all.fore said bag of fuggles.If the sixty is too malty don't ever drink a boch or even an ale.

I've only had the 60 and 90 IPAs, which I thought were OK. I like the more citrusy PNW style of IPA than either of those. Not to say that they were bad. Part of it is that I had read Sam Caligone's book about DFH, plus inumerable other press and praise for DFH before I ever tried their beers. As a result, I developed a lot of respect for what they have accomplished and what they have done for craft brewing, but I guess I was kind of disappointed when I finally tried their beer. I do like it, as it has expanded my palette, but it's just not my favorite.

The chicory stout is real good, the world wide stout is amazing.

I'm also still looking for a good Dogfishhead beer. Sadly, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Brewhouse down in Delaware. I guarantee the product out of their tap beats anything you'll find in a bottle. Of course, I find this to be true with all Brewhouses. Exception may be Sixpoint Craft Ale. I can buy it in a growler from the local beer distributor and it's remarkably good. I guess I have to hold judgment on Dogfish Head until I get down to Delaware.

I really like the DFH 60 minute as an "every day" beer. I don't taste any hint of fuggles in it, though. Definitely got some piney and definitely some citrusy, but no "earthy" than I can pick out.

hmmm, if you are a traditional beer drinker probably not - they don't really make any. If you are into things that are a bit "different" then maybe... I kinda need to be in the mood for DFH. I really like a few of theirs including Raison d' etre and Midas Touch but a lot of times I am in the mood for a traditional style and they just don't fit that bill. It's definitely a brand where YMMV.

I have not had many of their beers. 60 and 90 minute, Indian Brown, and raison de etre and the peche, whatever its name is. I just picked up some palo santo marron but have not tried it yet.

I like them. Not wildly fanatical about them. I cannot remember details about the 60 minute I had it at a brewfest served from the overrated randall. I do remember being slightly underwhelmed after hearing all the hype but thinking it was good. The 90 minute is nice but I feel a bit on the sweet and underattenuated side. Give me a Ruination over that any day. Must be an east coast thing. Maltier and sweeter. Indian brown, well, I don't care for American brown ales (or stouts or porters for that matter) I like those to be malty and not citrusy/hoppy.

They are really about pushing boundaries. Some experiments work great others not so much. Respectable and worth trying though at least once I believe.

I have had a few, but they hold themselves in very high regard and that keeps me from dropping that kind of cash on beer I can make myself. I too would take a Stone Runination, Arrogant Bastard, or Oaked Arrogant Bastard over any Dogfish brew any day.

Dogfish is a kind of polarizing brewery... I dig the variety and the wacky stuff they come up with...

I couldn't stand Midas Touch the first time I tried it... I didn't know what to expect when I bought it, I just bought it because I was bound and determined to try everything they brewed that I could find... I now enjoy it much more, but I don't get it all that often... Same with Burton Baton, Immort'ale, Palo Santo, Pangea, Chateau Jiahu, etc etc etc...

I will get Chicory Stout and Punkin when the time comes around each year... I haven't been fortunate enough to try the 120 Minute or World Wide Stout... I did get to try some beers on tap at the brewpub and they were great... Theobroma was good... Luckily I found a bottle at my local liquor store...

you guys think the sixty is malty?maybe its just me but i taste no malt at all.fore said bag of fuggles.If the sixty is too malty don't ever drink a boch or even an ale.

Maybe malty isn't he right word. It is the toasty flavor that is too pronounced for an IPA in my opinion. I like hop-forward IPAs more. I like it, but I like stone IPA and Two Hearted ale better.

I really need to try the Palo Santo Marron. I read a long article about the whole making of that beer and it was intriguing and inspiring. I haven't even tried it yet, and I've already looked to see if that wood is available in chips or sticks (it is, but spendy), in case I ever want to attempt a clone.

I suppose it's like Samuel Adams, not everyone likes the beer but most people at least respect what they are doing.

I took two sips of their 120 and poured it down the drain. I've heard that if you let it sit for a year or more it is pretty good but that wasn't my experience. Haven't tried any of their others.

DFH is overpriced because it is unique not because it's good IMO. I'm so glad someone else posted this. As an IPA fan, I have to say they make some of the worst I've ever had. Even the brewmaster said their 120min was novelty, unbalanced without drinkability. Chicory stout is the only thing I may ever purchase again.

World Wide Stout, Olde School Barleywine, India Brown Ale and Palo Santo Marron are pretty good. Aprihop and Theobroma are all right.

Granted, I haven't drank DFH in a while, but I remember the 60,
Raison De Etre (sp) and India Brown to be too malty/sweet for
my tastes.

I've come to realize I absolutely love hoppy citrus and can't
drink too many or any very malty brown-ale like beers. I'm
currently drinking Great Divide Hibernation Ale and after 2 it
feels like I have been eating candy all day.

I'll be going back to my Ruination.

I would like to try the 120 though. Even if for novelty, but
when I see it around it's just too much $$$.

Okay. Update from my previous post. Just finished a bottle of Palo Santo Marron. It is excellent. Very complex flavors and aromas. Definitely an enjoyable wood character. Very drinkable for a 12% beer. I think this will age well.

Dogfish Head, IMHO, makes some excellent and innovative stuff. The 90 minute IPA is great, although I'm a stout guy first and foremost, so take that as you will. 60 minute is kinda meh, and the 120 certainly didn't blow me away like I thought it would.

Ruination is also great in its own way, just different. Indeed, Ruination reminds me a lot of the ballast point IPA, which I also like quite a bit. Dogfish Head and Stone seem to have different approaches, so comparing the two is almost apples to oranges.

Midas Touch.

I also love the 60min, but I like hoppy beers. 90min is good too, but they get tough to drink after 2 or 3. Other than that, the rest don't do much for me.

I live a few miles from the brewery and while I have a huge amount of respect for Sam, I'm not a big fan of many of the beers. Shelter Pale is my go-to when I'm out and about. I guess I'm just not into "extreme" beer at this point in my beer journey.

I had their Punkin Ale not long ago in the brew pub. I thought it was way too alcoholy (7%). The alcohol taste overpowered the malt, hops, and even pumpkin. The food was great though.

I'm glad he's here though and I like his innovative spirit. But many of the beers are more of a novelty to me... something I try once in a while.

Back