Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is there a good dog fish head?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Joos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Default Is there a good dog fish head?

I'm sure i'm gonna get a lot of negative comments on this one,but to me(even as a hop head)The 60 min. ipa is decent and the 90 is drinkable.I just don't find any of their beers...umm...good.Don't get me wrong i'll take em over any BMC any day.But my favorite (the 60 min.) tastes like eating a bag of fuggles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

...mmmmmmmm....

bag-o-fuggles.....

Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought the 120 minute was like 7up beer and a shot of vodka. I bought a 4pack of old skool barleywine the other day... same taste. I like the 60 minute a lot, although it seems overly malty to me for an IPA. 90 is way too malty, and I love double IPAs. I like the India Brown Ale. Punk, meh. Raison, way too sweet, tastes like tussin. I have had several others. None I want to make 5 gallons of. I want to like them. I just don't.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Some people like their beers, others do not. I have only had a few Dogfish beers, but have enjoyed every one. I have more respect for the fact that they are willing to try something totally out there just to see if it can be done.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pretty much the same here. Their beers all seem too sweet to me, not that they are not good, but there are quite a few beers I would choose first.

Ok, I do go for the 60 Minute on occasion, but I feel like I can get stuff that is just as good for cheaper.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't had all of them, but have no real complaints. I like maltier IPAs, so I do dig the 60 for sure. The 90 is great too-but borders on too much (can't throw them back by any stretch). The 120 IMO-is just hoppy and alcoholic for the sake of being hoppy and alcoholic, and is way too sweet. I REALLY like the India Brown though...will probably try to formulate something like it for an upcoming brew.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

you guys think the sixty is malty?maybe its just me but i taste no malt at all.fore said bag of fuggles.If the sixty is too malty don't ever drink a boch or even an ale.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

I've only had the 60 and 90 IPAs, which I thought were OK. I like the more citrusy PNW style of IPA than either of those. Not to say that they were bad. Part of it is that I had read Sam Caligone's book about DFH, plus inumerable other press and praise for DFH before I ever tried their beers. As a result, I developed a lot of respect for what they have accomplished and what they have done for craft brewing, but I guess I was kind of disappointed when I finally tried their beer. I do like it, as it has expanded my palette, but it's just not my favorite.

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
icu812
Recipes 

The chicory stout is real good, the world wide stout is amazing.

Smellin like a brewery lookin like a tramp ain't got a quarter got a postage stamp and a five o'clock shadow boxing all around the town talking with the old men sleeping on the ground.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Champurrado
Recipes 

I'm also still looking for a good Dogfishhead beer. Sadly, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Brewhouse down in Delaware. I guarantee the product out of their tap beats anything you'll find in a bottle. Of course, I find this to be true with all Brewhouses. Exception may be Sixpoint Craft Ale. I can buy it in a growler from the local beer distributor and it's remarkably good. I guess I have to hold judgment on Dogfish Head until I get down to Delaware.

Quick Reply