Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is there a good beer store in your area?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Yeah, Portland is Beervana and driving purgatory. About twice a month, I drive up to Portland for activities unavailable here. Each time, it resets my desire to move closer in to zero. Tough to appreciate the beer when there isn't any place to park, so you can get to the beer. Can't even MAX in, because my van is too tall for the parking garages.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #22
spin02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I live in very rural Southwest Virginia. We have a very limited selection in grocery stores. The closest good beer store is about 45 minutes. It's actually a wine shop that has a great selection of beer. Today we are making a trip to the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA. Great selection of microbrews, imports, even several Trappists'. It's about 2 hours away, but completely worth the drive.

On Deck: Big Hoppa v2.0, Traditional Porter, Scottish 60
Fermenting:
On Tap: Danky West Coast IPA, Dark Sky English Mild

Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Rochester, NY.

Home of Wegmans, Hegedorns, and Beers of the World.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
adfirmus
Recipes 

Huntington, WV doesn't have much selection past Rogue and SN, and the occasional good import. For great beers I'll usually make a trip to Whole Foods in Dublin, OH. Or if I'm visiting friends in Cincinnati I'll go to Party Source in Newport, KY, or Jungle Jim's in i think fairfield, OH.

In the mail: AHS Sierra Nevada Wheat clone
Fermenting: None yet!
Bottled and conditioning: MW Belgian Wit, BM's Extract Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale

Old 05-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
leapdog
Recipes 

Greens in Columbia, sc has a huge selection of imports and micros. it's like a giant grocery store for beer and wine. 3 isles full of beer. i have to factor in 45 minutes and about $60 every time i go in there...

Old 05-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #26
d37fan
Recipes 

S.E. Kansas is pretty lacking for good beer. Have to drive 40 min east to Joplin MO. to get any good selection. Macadoodle's is a new wine and beer store that has an est. 120' of shelf space for beer with a good make your own sixer selection, and more Belgiums than I have seen before. On the other hand, 2 hrs west in Wichita called Goebel Liquor, which is the freakin mecca of craft brews featuring 1200 beers.
Their site: Goebel Liquor, Home of Rob's World of Beer - Wichita Kansas Spirits Alcohol Micro Brew Import Domestic Store

Primary #1 - Thespian Stout
Primary #2 - Air
Primary #3 - Air
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Wheat Ale, Wee Heavy, The Reverend Clone, Apfelwein

Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #27
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I'm in PA, the Commonwealth with the crazy liquor code. That said, there's a GREAT beer distributor in Wayne, PA, hidden behind a Star Bucks. They have a really impressive collection of microbrews and imports, and the guys there are pretty liberal about opening cases to pass out samples of new brews, or old favorites I might have missed or forgotten.

-Jack

Old 05-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #28
svudah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Yeah, Portland is Beervana and driving purgatory. About twice a month, I drive up to Portland for activities unavailable here. Each time, it resets my desire to move closer in to zero. Tough to appreciate the beer when there isn't any place to park, so you can get to the beer. Can't even MAX in, because my van is too tall for the parking garages.
Whenever my girl and I go to P-town, we park near the Widmer Brewery. There are no meters and almost always a spot. You can get a pint from the Brewery and then catch the MAX on Albina about a block and a half away. Plus, Amnesia Brewing is just up the road on Mississippi and if its going to be a late night you can get a room at the McMenammins across from Widmer for $45.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #29
Halaster
Recipes 

For the Chicago area I go to Binny's Beverage Depot. Good thing for this month is they have alot of beers $2 off a 4 or 6 pack. Been picking up some Bell's beers and trying out some others.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:56 AM   #30
spin02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapdog View Post
Greens in Columbia, sc has a huge selection of imports and micros. it's like a giant grocery store for beer and wine. 3 isles full of beer. i have to factor in 45 minutes and about $60 every time i go in there...
Greens is awesome. I used to have friends in Columbia. Every time I visited, I would stock up.

On Deck: Big Hoppa v2.0, Traditional Porter, Scottish 60
Fermenting:
On Tap: Danky West Coast IPA, Dark Sky English Mild

Quick Reply