Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is there a good beer store in your area?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Lukas Liquor Super Store in St. Louis.

A mecca of local micro, craft and world beers.

I stop by at least once a month and stuff the saddle bags with as much as I can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

micky finn's second location in florence SC has a verry good selection... for a southern town. !st store has a good selection but better cigars... have bought cigars from 1 and drove across town for beer... more than 2 stone brewery variety, always... all 3 anchor always, an just got 2 varieyies of mead, vanilla cinnamon and raspberry! also carries a hometown fav (not Florence SC) Stoudt's American Pale from Adamstown PA!!!!! And their Double IPA & had them Special order the "Scarlet Lady IPA" YUM. Going camping for my B-Day and Divorce will order another CASE for that!!!! along with a bottle of appleton estate extra old rum! drink, and drink an drink & fish AND CAMP.... Oh I forgot they have Pre-Embargo 1966 Padron cigars (at first location) And smoke!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 05-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #13
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Yeah, a couple. Sam's Blue Light in Durham is freakin' amazing (A+ World Class on BA) and Peace Street Market in Raleigh is just regular amazing. After that, Total Wine is about the best.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:12 AM   #14
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Im surprised a New York Stater started this thread. So it isn't all Beers of the World and Finger Lakes Beverage?

Not too mention Wegmans. Heck, there's an independent convenience store near where I work that sells mostly cigarettes, lottery tickets and lunchtime pizza slices. And even they sell Stone verticals, Chimay, Unibroue, growlers form the local brewery, etc.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #15
krausenmustache
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
Im surprised a New York Stater started this thread. So it isn't all Beers of the World and Finger Lakes Beverage?

Not too mention Wegmans. Heck, there's an independent convenience store near where I work that sells mostly cigarettes, lottery tickets and lunchtime pizza slices. And even they sell Stone verticals, Chimay, Unibroue, growlers form the local brewery, etc.
lol, wrong part of the state my friend. Make your way toward the city and the selection dries up rather quickly. I've never even seen a wegmans in real life.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #16
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
He's going to set aside a few bottles of Mirror Mirror for me when he gets some in.
I picked up a bottle of Mirror Mirror at Bottle Barn here in SR yesterday (and a Dissident a few weeks ago). Not much available from the Eastern States there either.

We have a BevMo too, but it doesn't... feel... right.

Neither store keeps more than about 1/3rd of their beer stock cold.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I've got a Thriftway. Has a half dozen craft beers stuck in one corner of the cooler. 25 miles to the next option.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Stateline liquours in Elkton, MD is on my way home from work. Awesome selection (I think one of the largest around) of micros, belgians,....you name it.... Love the place and the owners are great....

State Line Liquors - Beer, Fine Wines & Spirits - Beer Department Home Page

Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

We've got one locally that carry 500 plus bottles - Tampa Beer Bar - World of Beer - Westchase - great place.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Portland is Beervana. We have four or five stores that rank near the top of the list in selection and ambiance:

John's Market in Multnomah Village. The best selection in Portland with over 1000 different bottled beer selections from around the world (as well as some cans). An old convenience store turned into a shrine to beer (oh, yeah, they have wine, too). Their website shows what's available and is sortable by Style, Beer Name, Brewery, IBUs, or ABV.

Belmont Station in SE. A superb selection of worldwide beers, with a beer cafe in one half of the store that serves great local and popular craft beers. Used to be located next to the Horse Brass Pub, which Esquire Magazine selected as America's Best Pub in 2009 (well, it made the list of best bars in American and was listed first in the geographical layout, which meant it was the top pub in America!).

Saraveza in North Portland. New to the scene (opened November 2008), this bottle shop and pasty pub focuses on American craft beer seasonals, usually in 22oz bombers, and Belgians, about 200 different choices which you can drink there or take away. They have a rotating set of 10 taps, and have a great menu with handmade pasties, pickles, and great soups. It's a man's pub & bottle shop, no mistake. I had a glass of Mirror Mirror on tap there yesterday, as well as a bottle of Baron Brewing's Rauch beer from Seattle and a new smoked beer from Lagunitas, all in anticipation of today's brewday.

Bridgetown Beerhouse in North Portland. Even newer to the scene (opened January 2009), this is a very friendly, small place where the owner is there every day and takes requests for specific brews. I've worked with him to get Stiegl Goldbrau from Salzburg, Austria, into the Portland market, and he was quite receptive - and now can't keep it on the shelf! I think that shops where the staff works to get what the customer wants are top-notch, and have high hopes for Bridgetown.

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Quick Reply