Is there anything (beer, mead, wine, etc) thank be ready to drink in three weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongBad42

Reaction score
I've decided much too late that I want to brew something for deer camp. Is there anything out there that can be ready to drink by Nov 15?

Id say the yeast you use is almost more important than the style. I'd go with something fast like Chico for any session beer ie cream ale, pale ale, blonde. Another option would be a hef since they are meant to be yeasty and fresh.

Something lowish-alcohol like a bitter, mild, or session pale should work if you can force-carb. That would give you two or more weeks of fermentation. My last bitter (4% ABV) was tasting so good at two weeks, I pulled off a couple pints for myself as I was transferring to the keg.

I have found WLP 090 San Diego Super to both ferment fast (65F) and bottle condition fast (75F), and could be ready in 3 weeks depending on the style. I had a drinkable American Amber with 1 week at 65, two days at 68, 5 days at 40, and a week in the bottle.

Pale ales, IPAs, and wheat beers can all be grain to glass in 10-12 days if you keg. Of course this depends on your process and how healthy your fermentations are. Pitching the correct amount of yeast and controlling fermentation temps are key, along with proper oxygenation/aeration.

Pitching the correct amount of yeast and controlling fermentation temps are key, along with proper oxygenation/aeration.

+1, this is most important to have a good beer turned around quickly. Lower gravity and lighter colored beers are easier to produce a decent beer quickly than high gravity or beers with lots of highly kilned malts.

I would shy away from hoppy beers, they are better after a month or so. They can be good in three weeks, but I feel my PAs ans IPAs are at their best after several more weeks in the bottle

My Blonde ale was formulated to go from grain to glass in 14 days. Simple, fast and delicious "if I do say so myself"

I'll find it for you if you like. I use WLP-051 and loads of it!!

Cheers
Jay

I would shy away from hoppy beers, they are better after a month or so. They can be good in three weeks, but I feel my PAs ans IPAs are at their best after several more weeks in the bottle

Not in my experience!

I am routinely drinking IPAs on day 20.

Hoppy beers are best fresh, so I drink my APAs, IPAs, and American ambers when they are finished, and clear. Sometimes I keg them on day 10 or so, if I"m not dryhopping. Otherwise, they tend to get kegged around day 15, depending on what I'm doing.

Other quick beers would be a mild, ordinary bitter, English brown ale, hefeweizen, American wheat, blonde ale, and other lower OG and non-complex flavored ales.

Not in my experience!

Hoppy beers are best fresh, so I drink my APAs, IPAs, and American ambers when they are finished, and clear. Sometimes I keg them on day 10 or so, if I"m not dryhopping. Otherwise, they tend to get kegged around day 15, depending on what I'm doing.

Other quick beers would be a mild, ordinary bitter, English brown ale, hefeweizen, American wheat, blonde ale, and other lower OG and non-complex flavored ales.

I wonder if it has something to do with my well water... anyway +1 to milds and brown. I've been able to drink them very quickly

If you aren't used to turning beers around quickly, I'd say your best bet is to do a still, backsweetened cider. I really like Upstate Mike's Caramel Apple Hard Cider and it goes over well with everyone. The only difference is I let it ferment the whole way out, then just add 1 lb of sugar at bottling along with the caramel. Then dose it with campden/sorbate or batch/stovetop pasteurize. When we first did it, we did half carbed and half still, and we really liked the still better, and it is much easier to do.

I'm just getting ready to bottle my latest batch of it, and I'll be bringing it to deer camp too. :mug:

roastquake said:

Hoppy beers go south really quickly especially pale ones. . They should be drank as fresh as possible. 12-14 days in the primary is plenty for a dryhopped IPA. Even shorter if you don't dryhop. Letting them sit for 1-2 months is kind of a waste of hops.

Not in my experience!

Hoppy beers are best fresh, so I drink my APAs, IPAs, and American ambers when they are finished, and clear.

+1
I'm often disappointed by how much my highly hopped beers drop off after the 30-45 day mark. Best fresh!

If you aren't used to turning beers around quickly, I'd say your best bet is to do a still, backsweetened cider. I really like Upstate Mike's Caramel Apple Hard Cider and it goes over well with everyone. The only difference is I let it ferment the whole way out, then just add 1 lb of sugar at bottling along with the caramel. Then dose it with campden/sorbate or batch/stovetop pasteurize. When we first did it, we did half carbed and half still, and we really liked the still better, and it is much easier to do.

I'm just getting ready to bottle my latest batch of it, and I'll be bringing it to deer camp too. :mug:

This sounds like a great idea. Question: do you not use the apple juice concentrate at the end? If you could pm me with your process I'd be really grateful.

This sounds like a great idea. Question: do you not use the apple juice concentrate at the end? If you could pm me with your process I'd be really grateful.

No, I added the concentrate too. Here's a link to my brew notes. I think I batch pasteurized it. To do that you just siphon it from your fermenter into your kettle and heat it up to ~150* for 10-15 minutes. You do risk oxidizing it and alcohol boils at ~160* (I think) when batch pasteurizing. I haven't ever had issues with it though. You can also dose it with campden tablets/potassium sorbate (1 crushed campden tablet and .5 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon), or stovetop pasteurize it in the bottle. Lately I've been leaning more towards dosing with campden/sorbate as my main method for backsweetening.

Does the campden stop any further fermentation? Once you add the concentrate, the yeast is gonna want to have a field day.

Does the campden stop any further fermentation? Once you add the concentrate, the yeast is gonna want to have a field day.

campden does not kill yeast. It only stops it from multiplying. I would pasturize over campdening it. Campden is used in beer/winemaking to help neutralize chlorimines and stunt wild nasties so the yeast we pitch can crowd them out.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/purpose-of-campden-tablets.html
Initially, Campden tablets are used to kill off any potentially harmful bacteria that may may be present in the base ingredients used in winemaking, and to discourage any wild yeast from gaining a foothold. Campden will not kill yeast, but it creates an environment inhospitable to them. As sulfur dioxide (SO2) is released into the must and the atmosphere above the must dissipates, the environment inside the fermenter slowly changes and the yeast can grow, but by then our cultured wine yeasts, which are more tolerant of SO2, have gotten a good start and “crowd out” the wild yeasts, use up all the dissolved oxygen, and consume all the fermentable sugar and nutrients. In the end, there is nothing left for the wild yeasts and they die without propagating.

My understanding is Campden and sorbate essentially stop fermentation from restarting. They won't stop a fermentation mid process. The sorbate keeps yeast from reproducing and stuns them, so the yeast that are alive will just die off naturally. For this reason, it is best to get as much yeast out of suspension as possible first by either cold crashing, filtering, etc. Sorbate works better when combined with campden, which is why they are used together, but either one alone will not have the same effect. The campden/sorbate combo (I believe) is the most common method for backsweetening wines.

Also, like I said, you can always batch or stovetop pasteurize if you don't feel comfortable with it. If you are keeping it still, stovetop pasteurizing is fine. I've never had good luck with stovetop pasteurizing any carbonated drinks with more than a slight fizz. Too often the bottles would blow up in the kettle with all the pressure and heat, even when I'd use a much lower temp than suggested.

Not in my experience!

I also do this now due to the posts i've read from Yooper. Even though I bottle, I can be drinking a pale two weeks in primary and two weeks in the bottle depending on how nice and warm it is in SoCal in those two weeks

Back