Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are there any small breweries that use extracts instead of all grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
A lot of breweries, big and small use extracts...extracts are just what all grain brewers do, just done by a malting house. It's not some evil entity....And it's naive to think that a commercial brewer or a micro brewer WOULDN'T use extracts...

Here's an answer I have posted many times on here with a list of quite a few commercial breweries that use or have used extract at one time or another.

One of my favorite Pico Breweries/wineries/coffeshop/cigar lounge in a rivertown an hour outside of Detroit, makes decent beer in small batches using Extract as well because this is their entire brewing/winemaking space.

And this is their main seating area for the brewery/winery part of the place (the coffee house part is in the front and a cigar lounge is in the middle of the building)
Love reading this... its a great insight

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarker8541 View Post
I hope not!!! What are they gonna do, have 50 people stand over a boil kettle with gallon jugs of extract?? Yea that sounds like its extremely efficient!!! Its definately gonna get messy if you spill extract. And its not really more work, just more time consuming.
Time is money and less money on labor equals more profits

Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarker8541 View Post
I hope not!!! What are they gonna do, have 50 people stand over a boil kettle with gallon jugs of extract?? Yea that sounds like its extremely efficient!!! Its definately gonna get messy if you spill extract. And its not really more work, just more time consuming.
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDME Malt Co.
For the microbrewery sector, Edme supplies a separate series of products. The following extracts can be used as the complete wort or as individual adjuncts. All are available in 25-kg pails, 295-kg drums, or 1-tonne containers.
Even those 1 gallon jugs sold at homebrewshops or in kits usually come to the company selling it (like your local homebrewshops) in drums.

In fact many homebrewshops, actually sell the empty drums the extract came in to homebrewer as wine makes to use as large fermenters.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I am actually surprised more brewpubs don't use strictly extract. Much less equipment and less of a learning curve. Kind of like a restaurant that makes it own
Spaghetti sauce from fresh tomatoes vs.using a canned sauce base.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

*sigh*

Even those 1 gallon jugs sold at homebrewshops or in kits usually come to the company selling it (like your local homebrewshops) in drums.

In fact many homebrewshops, actually sell the empty drums the extract came in to homebrewer as wine makes to use as large fermenters.
Very true..
I purchased a 55 gallon drum from a homebrew shop but i used it as a rain barrel since it was a bit to dirty for me

Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but it's a great one. Revvy's post was very insightful. I knew about Guinness using extract, but I had no idea Chimay used to.

Quick Reply