Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Theme To Your Brewing / Theme "Sets"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
taylja06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Theme To Your Brewing / Theme "Sets"?

I quickly made a twitter account called Desperate Hours Brewing, after the song "These First Few Desperate Hours" by the Mountain Goats, and it ended up with the lead singer/songwriter getting in touch with me to say how happy he was with the idea.

So my first five beers are all going to be named and themed after Mountain Goats songs, to appreciate John's support and keep the namesake making sense.

Anyone else doing anything similar? A buddy of mine who does collaboration brews always names his version of the batch after the other brewer.

Kegged: Smoked Red with Juniper, Spiced Brown Ale (Autumn Warmer)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
huge1s
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

All my beers are named "Steve".

Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I work for a place that has everything named with a "Nuclear" theme using elements or components of nuclear reaction, process and delivery in the name somehow.
I get the idea and all but it gets old after a while and wish they would change it up a bit now and again just to keep it fresh.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Awesome band and awesome idea.

I have been toying with the idea of making all my beers around the old HBO show "The Wire". I think it could be cool. McNulty Irish Red, Presbelewski Pilsner, The low rises IPA and the Towers DIPA.

Nice song too.

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

taylja06 Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
taylja06
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks FreshZ. I was freaking out about John getting back to me; a friend came up to me at a party that night and asked what it felt like to talk to an elder god.

And yeah, I agree with the sentiment concerning going overboard with a theme. Flying Dog always got to me a bit, but they are moving away it seems.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
loctones
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshZ View Post
I have been toying with the idea of making all my beers around the old HBO show "The Wire". I think it could be cool.
Indeed.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2800 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 5983

Since I am in the Navy and a submariner, I started naming all my brews after Navy and submarine related terms. Some of them still get the Navy treatment, but I agree that the same theme gets old pretty quick, so I've been trying to change it up a bit.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
geer537
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I started entering in my local fair and they have a seperate competition for labels so I came up with musical instruments in nature. My 2 favorites are ones I found locally. The first one was a piano that was built around a tree on a disc golf course. Locals called it the piano hole until a few years back when some idiots tore down the piano. I was lucky enough to snap a few pics and I call it the Piano Tree Pale. The other is a guitar that is sitting outside a bar called The Maiden in Big Sur CA. It's in a small-ish garden and there was a plant growing through the sound hole. I took a shot from the top of the headstock down and changed the logo on the headstock to read no strings IPA.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 446

theme beer?

sometimes a date on the cap with a sharpie or a plain paper stuck to the bottle with glue stick and "stout" written on it is pushing the envelope for labeling.

I'm cheep and lazy with labeling

Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
taylja06
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
theme beer?

sometimes a date on the cap with a sharpie or a plain paper stuck to the bottle with glue stick and "stout" written on it is pushing the envelope for labeling.
haha, that was pretty much my plan until a friend offered to design our first label.

Quick Reply