Thats not possible!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
This hydrometer just fell 5 feet off the top of the fridge onto the concrete floor of the garage, and survived. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

image-3546231211.jpg

Yooper said:
And then on the next brewday, you'll just gently drop it into the wort in the test jar, and it'll break. That's just Murphy's Law.

Actually, that's exactly how my only ever hydrometer casualty happened. I dropped into the test vial and it shattered. You're right though... This is gonna come at a cost.

I've got a couple back ups... Including a nice $25 Swiss made one that I never use. That one would have broke for sure.

Hartski said:
How do you test it to see if it's still accurate?

Put it in boiling water and make sure it gets up to temp, then quickly take a reading in ice water.

That's not enough. Need to test at 2 points.

Mix 16 ounces of water with 4 ounces of table sugar. Heat and stir until dissolved thoroughly. Pour into hydrometer test jar. Should measure 1.083.

If it is just to re-test if it is still correct why 2 points? I can't see dropping it would crush the paper so that the scaling is now incorrect :D Ofcorse you might just find it was never right :cross:

JRems said:
It survived the fall, but is it still accurate?
I thought about that. The paper may have shot down in the glass.
Airborneguy said:
Pee on it.
1.020 ;)
passedpawn said:
That's not enough. Need to test at 2 points.

Mix 16 ounces of water with 4 ounces of table sugar. Heat and stir until dissolved thoroughly. Pour into hydrometer test jar. Should measure 1.083.
That's cool, I've never thought about that. I'll have to try it
Bigcorona said:
Must be the result of Clean Living!
If I wasn't Clean Living I would have made the hydro into a crack pipe a long time ago. It's perfect.

The second time. The second time this hydrometer has met concrete. I admit that this time as it was falling from a fumbled (empty) test vial I shot out a foot to break the fall, it bounced right off my foot and came to a clatter on the floor of the garage. I don't even want to use it anymore. I should have it mounted.

image-2511587210.jpg

Third times a charm? If it happens again and it still doesn't break then you have somehow officially zombified your hydrometer lol. It may not be alive but it lives to test another day.

Back