Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Be thankful you don't live in a backwards country!
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 590
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Be thankful you don't live in a backwards country!

Malaysian model, mother to be caned for drinking beer in public - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A Malaysian model, who is set to become the first woman in the Southeast Asian country to be caned for drinking alcohol in public, wants her punishment carried out in public.


Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno says that if a caning is meant to teach a lesson, then it should be in public.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno said Thursday that if the intent of the Islamic, or Shariah, court that sentenced her was to set an example for other Muslims, then the flogging should take place in the open.

"Let's be transparent about it," she said.

"We want to challenge them," added Kartika's father, Shukarno Abdul Muttalib. "The law is a little bit wrong. They say they are gentlemen who want to uphold values. Then the public should judge how gentlemanly it is."

An Islamic court in the eastern state of Pahang fined Kartika $1,400 (5,000 Malaysian ringgit) and sentenced her to six strokes with a rattan cane for drinking beer at a hotel bar two years ago.

Kartika, a 32-year-old part-time model, was visiting Malaysia from Singapore, where she lives with her husband and two children.

She pleaded guilty and has paid the fine.

Malaysia, which considers itself a moderate Muslim country, forbids alcohol consumption by Muslims -- even those who are visiting.

The country has a dual-track justice system, in which Islamic courts operate alongside civil ones.

The law forbidding alcohol applies only to Muslims, who make up about 60 percent of the population. The country's Buddhist, Christian or Hindu population can drink freely.

Kartika's case has caused an uproar, with many citing it as another example of growing fundamentalism in the multiracial country.

In northern Malaysia's Kelantan state, authorities have forbidden Muslim women from wearing bright lipstick and noisy, high-heeled shoes, saying the ban will safeguard the morals and dignity of the women, as well as thwart rape.

"We want to present a face to the world that we are not a fundamentalist country," Ashli Chin, said a resident in Kuala Lumpur. "This makes us a laughingstock."

Mohamad Isa Abd Ralip, president of the Syariah [Shariah] Lawyers' Association of Malaysia, said too much is being made of Kartika's punishment.

"It is not about causing pain. It is about educating others and to teach the person a lesson," he said.

The recipient is fully clothed and the flogger cannot raise his arm high, Mohamad Isa said. The blows are delivered using a thin stick, so that they don't break the skin.

Malaysia's civil court does not call for caning for alcohol consumption. It also cannot overrule a Shariah court sentence.

The civil courts do, however, hand out flogging sentences for serious offenses such as rape.

Neighboring Singapore also metes out caning as punishment. One of the most notable cases was that of American teenager Michael Fay, who received four strokes for vandalism in 1994.

Kartika's punishment is unique because she has opted to go through with it, which would make her the first woman to be caned for drinking alcohol in public, Mohamad Isa said.

Two other Malaysians sentenced to the same fate have filed appeals.

Kartika will be taken from her father's house Monday. The caning will be carried out within seven days after that.

"I'm not really afraid. I feel relief," she said. "I want to move on. This case has been hanging over me for a long time."
__________________
Slipgate is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 47,547
Liked 4713 Times on 4365 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

I would gladly live in Malaysia. Just not as a muslim woman.

32 years old, Married, with children and a model (i.e. public figure).

She knew what she was doing and was posturing herself for a statement. Who knows. But I'd almost guarantee you she knew the consequences before she took action.

And you think OUR bible thumpers are a pain.

__________________

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 08-20-2009 at 04:40 PM.
GilaMinumBeer is online now
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 42,744
Liked 2770 Times on 2719 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

Why is this our business. There's a law in her country, she broke it, she does the punishment for it. I don't agree with the law, but it's there. SHe doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Why is CNN sticking there nose in something so unimportant?

__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo
IrregularPulse is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 47,547
Liked 4713 Times on 4365 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Because it paint s a sensational view on a religious viewpoint that we (as a nation) don't understand.

__________________
GilaMinumBeer is online now
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,689
Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Why is CNN sticking there nose in something so unimportant?
$$$

The only thing that would sell better than this at the moment is if there was a murder of a public icon such as a famous actor.
__________________
humann_brewing is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
thedigitale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 207
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Why is this our business. There's a law in her country, she broke it, she does the punishment for it. I don't agree with the law, but it's there. SHe doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Why is CNN sticking there nose in something so unimportant?
Ever Jaywalk? Think you should be caned for it?

It is important, and something that should be reported on. Should we have seperate laws for different religions here? Different races? Where do we draw the line?
__________________
thedigitale is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Christian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
There's a law in her country, she broke it, she does the punishment for it.
It wasn't in her country, she was just visiting. Hence the reason she was at a hotel bar.
__________________

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"


CMAC'S Brewery

Christian is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 5,679
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitale View Post
Ever Jaywalk? Think you should be caned for it?

It is important, and something that should be reported on. Should we have seperate laws for different religions here? Different races? Where do we draw the line?
We debate the merits of theocracy all we want (though it should stay out of the general beer discussion threads), but the fact remains that this is a sovereign country with its own laws. As a nation, we really don't know a thing about this religious viewpoint.

We could use some public corporal punishment here in the US from time to time.
__________________

Last edited by flyangler18; 08-20-2009 at 05:11 PM.
flyangler18 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default

Quote:
Why is CNN sticking there nose in something so unimportant?
Because caning models in public gets CNN's panties sticky.
__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 47,547
Liked 4713 Times on 4365 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
It wasn't in her country, she was just visiting. Hence the reason she was at a hotel bar.
The same laws apply in Singapore to muslims. However, she wasn't in her country. So, your argument is moot.
__________________
GilaMinumBeer is online now
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going backwards? Droot General Beer Discussion 3 06-22-2009 01:57 PM
Wha choo thankful for? Jim Karr General Chit Chat 15 11-28-2008 08:33 AM
What other country would you live in? BrewWench General Chit Chat 80 07-01-2008 02:22 AM
Going Backwards to PM - Help? SW Brewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 20 07-27-2007 04:21 PM