Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Texas craft beer news

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Texas craft beer news

Read this today, St Arnolds makes some good craft beer, anything that is good for the craft beer scene is good for the homebrewer in my opinion.

Texas Senate support could help the business of craft breweries

HOUSTON (FOX 26) -
Craft beer brewing, in Texas, is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Now, the state Senate has given unanimous support to the first of several bills that could expand how those businesses make money.

At popular breweries, Like Saint Arnold, tours include an opportunity to sample some suds.

But legal restrictions prevent customers from buying beer, directly from brewers.

In Austin, a package of bills is gaining support that would, first, allow craft brewers to sell their products for on-site consumption.

It would also allow the state's brew-pub restaurants to sell a portion of their products to distributors, for sale in stores.

Supporters say it creates business opportunities that don't exist now.

St. Arnold's owner, Brock Wagner, says, "It's the difference between opening the doors to your brewery and not being profitable for three years, and opening your doors and, maybe, being profitable in the first six months. It's that kind of a difference which can have a huge effect on the success of a company."

If passed by the Texas House, and signed by the governor, the new laws could be in place by September.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
zeapo
Recipes 

My dreams are coming true.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I hope this passes, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's been tried several times in the past and always come sup short. InBev has a lot of pull. I would just really like it if I could buy my kegs directly from the brewery, instead of having to go through a liqour store.

the best thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 600

This bill is not all its cracked up to be. The only on site sales would be pints, I believe up to 3 per customer. No growler fills, no keg/bottle/cans to go. The bill also takes away the brewery's rights to sell their distribution rights, they have to give them away free, even though the distributor can then sell them to another distributor. Its anti-craft bill according to most craft brewers in TX. Its good for distributors and brewpubs only. If you want to read more read the opinions of Michael Peticolas, a lawyer and founder/brewer of Peticolas Brewing in Dallas:
http://peticolasbrewing.blogspot.com...ars-craft.html

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
zeapo
Recipes 

Well crap. Being able to buy kegs and growlers would be awesome.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Has anyone read the text from SB 516 - 518? There's more included than 3 pints if this passes through. For distributorship, if you make less than 125,000 BBL you can sell up to 40,000 BBL to the same persons that a licensed distributor can sell to. For sale to ultimate consumers, if you make up to 225,000 BBL you can sell up to 5,000 BBL to ultimate consumers on premise. These seem like good changes to me.

*EDIT* for typos. It's early

Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPayne View Post
Has anyone read the text from SB 516 - 518? There's more included than 3 pints if this passes through. For distributorship, if you make less than 125,000 BBL you can sell up to 40,000 BBL to the same persons that a licensed distributor can sell to. For sale to ultimate consumers, if you make up to 225,000 BBL you can sell up to 5,000 BBL to ultimate consumers on premise. These seem like good changes to me.

*EDIT* for typos. It's early
Have ou compared this to the current situation? If you make 75,000 or less Bbl you can sell it all to bars/retail establishments, so this actually takes away 35,000 bbls a year you can self distribute. The only benefit to the craft brewers is the selling on site, which is limited to pints, not growlers, or anything to go. So to see benefit they have to set up a bar, hire bartenders etc...

Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Can you point me to where it specifies what they can sell (pints vs growlers)? I can't seem to find that and would like to read up on it.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPayne View Post
Can you point me to where it specifies what they can sell (pints vs growlers)? I can't seem to find that and would like to read up on it.
SB 518 states they can sell up to 5,000 bbl directly to consumers for consumption on the brewer/manufacturers premise. That means no to-go sales, no growlers, bottles, sixpacks, or kegs can be sold to go.

ftp://ftp.legis.state.tx.us/bills/83...9/SB00518S.htm

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indytruks138 View Post
SB 518 states they can sell up to 5,000 bbl directly to consumers for consumption on the brewer/manufacturers premise. That means no to-go sales, no growlers, bottles, sixpacks, or kegs can be sold to go.

ftp://ftp.legis.state.tx.us/bills/83...9/SB00518S.htm
True, SB 518 says if you make up to 225,000 BBL you can sell up to 5,000 BBL per year for ultimate consumption, i.e. pints on premise.

However, SB 517 says if you make up to 125,000 BBL you can sell up to 40,000 BBL to the same people that a general distributor can, on premise. This is growlers, 6-packs and other "to-go" sales as you put it.

Quick Reply