Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Texas breweries need your help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
ChillyP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Texas breweries need your help!

Texas breweries need your help!

Two bills have been filed with the Texas state Senate and House, Senate Bill 754 and House Bill 1062. If these bills are passed, it will give brewers the right long enjoyed by wineries to sell directly to on-premise visitors. When wineries gained this right several years ago, it completely changed the economics for wineries, and today Texas is the nation's 5th largest grape and wine producing state, contributing $1.35 billion annually and 8,000 jobs to Texans. SB 754 and HB 1062 have the potential to be the same kind of game changer for Texas brewers. Please show your support for these bills by sending a letter or email to your representative asking them to support these bills.

For more information on the Bills visit the following websites.

Senate Bill 754
Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for SB 754

House Bill 1062
Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for HB 1062

To find out who represents you.
Who Represents Me--Home

All it takes is a short letter like this one.

Greetings Sen. ___,
I am writing to ask your help in endorsing SB 754, "Relating to the sale of ale and malt liquor by brewer's permit holders".
This bill makes breweries the same as wineries in their ability to sell small samples at their production site.
The current inequity in the law between breweries and wineries favors larger breweries and distributors and I would expect them to oppose this bill.
Small breweries are small businesses, which create jobs and in many cases create tourism. They are also very difficult to start and grow. Allowing them to simply sell small amounts of their beer to visitors can make the difference between growth and closure.
Thank you for your service to Texas,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It will certainly open a new revenue stream for breweries, but I don't know if will make all that much of a difference. Winos tend to buy in quantity after the tastings, but beer drinkers generally just buy what they can drink at that moment.

But, it certainly should be an option.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hope it passes, but being a non-Texan can't do much about it.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
ChillyP
Recipes 

Yeah I understand Parker36. I like this idea. I think it would be neat to swing by the brewery and pickup a keg instead of having to search around to find a store selling it.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make sure you read all you can about this, not just the headlines. Dig into the dirt.

Sometimes you need to be careful what you ask for...you just might get it...(and it won't be what you expected)...

You ought to be old and smart enough to know that the Gov't NEVER does anything FOR you, but it'll do something TO you all day long...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
defroach
Recipes 

Its a shame that is not a law yet in Texas, and there is also very few breweries here as well...which may be the reason.

I hope it does pass....

Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It'd be nice to be able to pick up a case at a local brewery you enjoy. Even if they charge "retail" (which will probably be part of the law) at least you know all the money is going to the brewery, not a distributer and retailer.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #8
ChillyP
Recipes 

So I spoke with a local brewery today and they explained it to me a little better. They view it as allowing them to sell direct. Here's what the Head Brewer/Owner says:

"This bill would give us the liberty of dock sales. Our tours would still be free, but this law would make it legal for someone to buy a fourpack (or case) to take with them. This would also allow us to fill customers kegs and sell them here for a much reduced rate than what you would get at the store."

Sounds good to me!~

Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Hikeon3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good, but beware the great stapler of the state government. Sometimes there's more attached than you bargain for.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1954 Times on 1413 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Hold on. Of course it's good to know what you are voting for, but who says this is a "government" action? Suppose it got started due to breweries and their friends as a way to increase sales. Maybe the Government doesn't even make much on the deal (although one could argue the liquor tax might provide more income from more sales, or a special, somewhat more expensive license would be required to sell..)

We sell like this in Michigan and I personally think it's a great way to do business. I can go to the brewery and take a tour, sample the beer, and then take some home with me. It's awesum!

We have several different classes of licenses AFAIK, depending on how the brewery wants to sell their wares and how much they want to pay in licensing fees. Some only sell on premises, no containers, and some sell bottles and kegs. Some serve food, and some do not (only packaged foods anyway, not prepared foods).

I'm betting that this would be a good deal for the consumers and the breweries.

Quick Reply