Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Terrible night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
Baspronick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Terrible night

Well, I finally moved up to the kegging world, and not a good first go at it. I cleaned my 4 kegs, ran a gallon of star san solution through them, and left the remainder of the gallon solution in the last keg. Had all 4 kegs im a row. I got distracted several times by the wife and baby, lost focus, then went back to my beer. It appears I racked my deception stout on top of the remaining part of the gallon of star san I mixed up. Definitley the dumbest thing ive done with my home brewing to date. I can not believe I did this. Is there still a chance that this might be drinkable? Sounds stupid, but im sure it was more like a half - 3/4gallon of star san solution after running it through 3 other kegs. I assume the small amount of star san will not be harmful to digest considering its assumed to be okay to rack, or bottle on top of star san foam. For reference, I mixed under a quarter ounce of star san with one 1 gal. Jug of water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You are lucky! Star san is not only drinkable but it even as it breaks down it is not toxic (not that I recommend drinking some intentionally). I am sure it will not be the exact same as the original deception stout but if you think there was an extra gallon in it and have the ability to freeze it slightly you can remove the 1 gallon of ice easy and get the gravity back to the ball park.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When it is done you could do a ph test. Star san sanitizes by having it's acidity above what bacteria can survive in, depending on how dilluted it is should be fine or have a little heartburn... But in all seriousness just test the ph balance with strips when it is done.

Oh BTW, I totally understand. For some reason just when I brew (regardless what SWMBO says..) I always forget something, luckily it hasn't been anything major as of yet but it boggles my mind. I think in a weird way it has to do with my mindset while in the process of brewing and conditioning beer. In a psychosematic way since I'm brewing beer I'm thinking drunkenly much like pot and contact high's work.. only thing I can think of.

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you mixed up a gallon and ran it through three other kegs before the last one, then unless you spilled a bunch of it while transferring from one keg to the next, then I'd say you had nearly a gallon of it in your keg when you racked on top of it. Check each of the other kegs. You probably have no more than 1 or 2 ounces residual in each.

To each his own, but I would not drink, or even taste, a beer that was 1/5th Star San. Not even if it was brand new freshly mixed Star San. If it were me, I'd dump it and remind myself in the future to pay better attention.

Note: I'm not saying it's bad for you or would make your beer taste bad, because I surely don't know. I'm just saying I wouldn't even sample it. I'd call it a loss.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
stp
Recipes 

This also happened to me but not on the same scale. I probably only racked on top of at most a quart of star san solution. I still drank it and it tasted fine. It was a new beer for me though so I didn't have a comparison to see how it changed the profile at all. Not sure how I'd feel about a gallon. I would probably at least try it.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I'd give it a go. Nothing wrong with a little StarSan. If it tastes OK, go for it.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
DrewBrewTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dump it.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Baspronick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did actually spill a decent amount. I was not pumping the star san through with gas, I was pouring it keg to keg, and had some spillage. I did not consider freezing it and removing ice. Sounds like my only hope. I will give that a try tonight.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

good luck. I suspect it will make your beer taste off somehow. I know we like to say that star san doesn't affect flavor but in that quantity it is a different matter, 20% star san will water down the other flavors and add an acrid bite/aftertaste. i doubt it will be good beer but heck.. it's in there. I'd carb it up and let it sit for a month at room temp, then chill and then see how it tastes. My hope would be that they yeast clean up some of the off flavors.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Just dump it and brew another. You will always be reminded of it
every time you have a pint and it wont be the same beer you
tried to create. Just dump it or send it to one of these wankers that
like to drink star san.