Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Temp Control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Szimdars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Temp Control

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to help with temperature control that might be cheap or easy? Not quite ready enough to invest in anything major, but what simple things might you do to help keep the yeast where you need em?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use a brew belt. It will largely depend on the yeast you use and the temperature that they need, but if you go with yeast that live a little warmer, this is a great tool.

Primary 3 - Wax's California Common
Drinking - Way too many different beers to list...

Old 11-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Do a search for swamp coolers. You'll find a lot of posts on the subject. They work.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm not worried about hot right now.. so no swamp cooler needed. But cold? I have my FV sitting on plywood over the bathtub.. The FV is covered with a plastic garbage can. Contains temps as best it can. Once I see the temp of the wort dropping I run an extension cord to the can and put an adapter inside that I have a couple of 7w nite lites plugged into. To keep the light from the FV I cover the lights loosely with alum foil.. If it gets too warm, I can either unplug it or just turn off one of the lights.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Other things you might be able to use, heating pad on very low w/ some towels in between (otherwise too hot). I use a seed germination mat, that can heat the beer another 5 degrees warmer or so. I think it's a 23 watt model, so pretty efficient too. A lot of people use incadescent bulbs.

For cooling, placing the bucket in another vessel, filling with water up to 1/2 the bucket height works well. I just swapped 2 gatorade bottles that were frozen and it worked well for me in August. I had a total of 4, so 2 were always in the freezer. Now I inherited a free mini fridge and bought a digital temp controller. It's working perfect to keep my Kolsch at 60 on the nose!

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
arg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There's a good BrewingTV episode called "Happiness is a warm carboy" that details using a big plastic tub (cheap) filled with water (very cheap) and an aqaurium heater stick (maybe $20?) to maintain warmer temps.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
bomberman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What are you looking to do, raise or lower temps? For keeping things cool, I've been looking at building a fermentation chamber, but they can be somewhat of an investment, so for my next batch I plan to swamp cooler/air conditioner setup that should keep things in the 60f range. You can search swamp cooler on here and find a lot of easy to build setups.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arg View Post
There's a good BrewingTV episode called "Happiness is a warm carboy" that details using a big plastic tub (cheap) filled with water (very cheap) and an aqaurium heater stick (maybe $20?) to maintain warmer temps.
That's an awesome idea. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to warm things up a bit lately....I can't believe I didn't think of that for my swamp cooler.

It's that time of year where the heat isn't running much, so the beer is sitting between 62-64*. I need to bump it up a few degrees, that aquarium heater sounds like the perfect solution.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

OP lives in TX?? I'm guessing a brew belt or heater is not going to be on the equipment list!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliewader View Post
That's an awesome idea. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to warm things up a bit lately....I can't believe I didn't think of that for my swamp cooler.

It's that time of year where the heat isn't running much, so the beer is sitting between 62-64*. I need to bump it up a few degrees, that aquarium heater sounds like the perfect solution.
Unless you are trying to get yeast esters, I wouldn't mess with temperature at all. Fermentation will warm up your vessel 5-10 degrees F and that puts you in a lot of ale yeasts perfect range. I'm all for fermenting cooler than warmer.

Quick Reply