Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tell me if this sounds like a good idea.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
jonbomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Tell me if this sounds like a good idea.

Well I was sitting down watching tv with SWMBO this weekend and something popped into my head. I know in philadelphia you need a liscence to sell homebrew but what I have in mind is something a little different.

I was thinking of running a private service. Let's say I told all of my friends and family that if they wanted to buy any beer off of me that they can ask me to make whatever type of beer they want.

Lets say a family member wanted me to make them an octoberfest. I tell them to pay for the ingredients and I will make it but you have to pay me a labor fee. Lets say 10 bucks.

I understand partial mash and extract are a little more expensive then all grain. Not to mention instead of me ordering online I can goto LHBS and pick up all the ingredients unless they want something special which I would have to order online.

So in the long run the money I make can pay for iether new equiptment to expand or even pay for recipes for myself. If I go all grain I can easily up the labor a few bucks to make more money.

Sound like a good idea?? I was thinking making a list sort of like a menu and giving it to people to see how they react.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Legality aside, I guess its a good idea if your friends/family don't mind you soaking them for cash.

The question is: Do your family/friends like your beer enough to pay you for it? Keep in mind that when its free, people are naturally more complimentary. When they start having to pay for it, their standards may go up.

Another thing to consider is labor: Do you really think its worth your time to undertake this venture versus spending your free time doing something else? Its one thing to waste time because its your hobby and its another thing to have to get out and brew because Uncle Arnie wants his IPA ready in time for his retirement party.

A better idea would be to ask Uncle Arnie if he wants to split a batch....have Uncle Arnie throw in some cash for ingredients (maybe enough for the whole batch) and brew a double batch, and split it with him. You get beer, save some cash by maybe not having to buy ingredients, save that money for equipment upgrades. You also don't come off like a douche trying to make cash off of your family/friends.

Just my 0.02.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I know that if you were to do this, you should not advertise it to the world in a public forum. As it still qualifies under the illegal side of the law.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're selling beer. No go.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My boss really likes my Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout so when she wants some, she pays for all the ingredients and then we split the batch. I get to brew for free, keep a case of the beer and she gets a case of good beer out of it for her trouble.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
jonbomb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This was just something I was thinking about. I probrably won't ever actually do it. In the future though if someone wants to buy a case of beer from me I'll just tell them to buy me the ingredients and I will make it.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
I know that if you were to do this, you should not advertise it to the world in a public forum. As it still qualifies under the illegal side of the law.
Not to mention that if it was me, I'd be making $2 an hour. It takes me about 5 hours from crushing the grain to cleanup. Also, you got propane, water, sanitizer, etc.

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That's also good for the people who think of homebrew as "cheap/free beer". When you price out the ingredients for a batch for them, and then tell them it'll take you 6-8 weeks of work before it'll be ready, they start to respect the process a little more. And if they don't, then you know to cut 'em off.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fry the beer in ravioli and then sell it to them then when they get home they drain the beer out of the ravioli and drink it!

Sorry, just trying to make a joke about the fried beer.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

oh god. fried beer. saw that on tv recently and didnt know what to think... um YUCK! anyone had it? cant possibly be appetizing.

Quick Reply