"Teach a friend to homebrew" day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are you doing for "Teach a friend to homebrew day?"

• Teaching a friend to homebrew

• Brewing alone, or with other brewers

• Not brewing at all

• I have no friends

Results are only viewable after voting.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
Just curious what people's plans are, as this is my first "teach a friend to homebrew" day as a serious homebrewer.

I will be brewing with a friend who has never brewed, but loves cooking. Not sure yet what I'm brewing as I am letting him decide.(gonna try to steer him towards a chocolate stout if he's undecided)

So, what are you doing? and what are you brewing? on November 7th.

I will finally be brewing my Irish Red on that day if all goes to plan. I'm also brewing with my bestfriend that day and its also my youngest daughters 3rd birthday so its a all in one day of celebration and brewing in my house hold.

Best friend and godfather of my kids is a wanna-be cook and loves a good strong brew so this step for him on entering the addiction of homebrew is something he is looking forward to. I think I did good with getting my wife into brewing (her > honey can I buy a new corboy??) and hopefully my friend will turn out the same way...

This is what I'm doing :mug:

SOBTAFTO.jpg

You don't have a category for large group brews. Most of the LHBS's in Michigan have large group brews. The one I do ends up with a couple hundred people coming through and 20-30 brewers brewing, and several clubs bring in their keg setups with randalls and such.

Yep we do it big in Michigan....

Here's the Homebrewtalk.com/Michigan Masher's tent at the AHC spring brew at cap n cork, it will be similar on the 7th.

DSCN2793.jpg

DSCN2804.jpg

DSCN2812.jpg

DSCN2794.jpg

DSCN2795.jpg

DSCN2798.jpg

DSCN2810.jpg

DSCN2811.jpg

DSCN2819.jpg

DSCN2803.jpg

I wasn't going to start a Michigan thread til we got closer to the date since it seems most folks can't think or plan that far in advance these days.

Also would be a good time to swap brews and learn some new tricks of the trade. Hey local Virginia Beach brewers.. why don't we have this?????

Offtopic - I think I'm going to stalk..errr I mean subscribe to Revvy's posts going forward. Between him and some other DIY posts it keeps me aspiring to step up my game (as my skill progresses).

Yup gonna try and teach the girlfriend to brew. Shes always there when i brew, but shes usually just standing around drinking. Figured it would be nice if i could get her into the hobby also. Brewing AHS Rye IPA and a Kolsch on the 7th.

I sure would like too. Personally I've only met two other brewers in this area. I have at least three friends that would like too and a few of my in-law are also interested. Not much time and I'd need to get some extract if I really wanted them to go anywhere with it.

I don't know.

I sure would like too. Personally I've only met two other brewers in this area. I have at least three friends that would like too and a few of my in-law are also interested. Not much time and I'd need to get some extract if I really wanted them to go anywhere with it.

I don't know.

Too bad you can't come to Michigan and join us, especially since I am going to be brewing your Mojave Red. :mug:

I was going to teach my Brother-in-law, but we got impatient and did it last weekend. We made the Newcastle clone in my sig.

Unless I can scrounge up some cash for ingredients, it might be "Teach your friend to bottle" day! :D

Redding Homebrew store and the Shasta Society of Brewers are hosting a very large event on Nov 7th for TAF. We will have 4 people brewing 1,AG. 1,Partial mash. 1,steeping grain and 1 extract batch single kettle. We are having 1 hour sales in the store all day. We have loads of prizes to give away for the raffles etc. We are having a local winery coming down to do a wine making demonstration and we are having a kid’s booth where soda will be made and served. Lunch will be for sale for a club donation and lots of fun will be had by all. This is our first TAF day for the new club and we want to do it right. If anyone is in the area feel free to come by and introduce yourself to me or anyone in the club.
PM me for directions or just call the shop 530 243 BEER
Cheers
Jay

We will meet up in Frankenmuth with another club and brew in the parking lot of the blackforrest brew pub.

Pat

Yep we do it big in Michigan....

Here's the Homebrewtalk.com/Michigan Masher's tent at the AHC spring brew at cap n cork, it will be similar on the 7th.

I was at this cap n cork event. Plan on showing up the 7th. I won't be able to brew that day. 2-40th bday parties. 1 1st bday party. And a meat raffle at the VFW. So not much time to brew.

*meat raffle is where they raffle off turkeys, ham and other items. You perv!

Looks like I'll be working. I might be able to fit some brewing in, but I don't see how I could set up a brewday with others and be sure to be able to make it.

Doing a batch with a buddy that learned how to brew last Teach a friend to homebrew day. He's been going all out since then and it's been pretty cool.

Hopefully a few more people we invited to learn will come out as well.

For the last five years, that weekend has been reserved for a get-together with some other (non-brewing) friends. However, I always brew a batch just for the occasion and bring it out. It turns more into "Teach a Friend about Homebrew Day" in my case, but it's going well. I've converted many to the ways of craft brews, if nothing else.

TL

Unfortunately, I will be at a daylong training session for Scout leaders...and since there is no brewing merit badge yet, it could be problematic.:D

IF my friend is available. I am going to teach him. Otherwise I am going it solo I think. I have not brewed in about six weeks due to moving and it is killing me...lol. SWMBO wants a Banana Ale and I want a Milk Stout. So it might be a brew weekend:D

One buddy came over and helped with brewing 11g of porter. He is interested, but the problem is he's not real smart. If he did extract with is SWiMBO he could do it (she is intelligent.) We had fun and more then enough homebrews.

transfering to secondary, taking hydrometer readings, kegging, crash cooling, cleaning carboys, changing diapers, hanging 400lb doors, fiberglassing boat transom, watching NFL, wasting time on an internet homebrew site when i should be planning out the brewpub or asking swmbo about her day.

I bottled my Watermelon wine and strawberry wine, then transfered my Blackberry Mead and my 2 row and Amarillo Smash to secondary and now I am gonna enjoy one of my Pumpkin Ales....it was a good day... :)

I brewed a Nut Brown Ale, but it was a last minute thing. I asked a few people and no one showed up till it was too late. The FedEx guy was great when he delivered my last SS QD's he was asking why everyone was brewing today. He looked around the asked a few questions. Pizza guy showed up after it was all done and he's come by while I have been brewing a few times and he asked if I brewed today. I told him he missed it, but i'll keep him in mind for future brews.

Swmbo and I spent the afternoon at the lhbs (American Brewmasters in Raleigh NC)
they put on a good show. A couple of brewing demos, and some good info from local breweries (Lonerider, Big Boss, and Aviator) good homebrew samples and I won a full sack of Marris Otter in a Rafflle wooo hooo. American Brewmasters rocks.

Brewed 10 gallons of Koelsh with another brew friend. I shot an email out to our homebrew club with no one interested (or busy doing something else). Kinda lame really. Next year I will plan more in advance.

We taught a boating friend how to brew Saturday. He's kind of "thrifty" so he may not pick up the hobby because of equipment costs (even though he was very interested). He was seriously impressed with the Dude's Lake Walk Pale that we had on tap. Said it was the best beer he's ever had.

Hey everyone. Just brewed my first beer on Saturday with @Revvy and @Bjornbrewer. Thanks for showing me the ropes, hopefully my IPA will turn out.

The teach a friend to brew event at Cap n' Cork was a great time! Can't wait to brew again.

Back