Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tax refund brewery expansions!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
bscott1011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Both of the kids go to private school as the public district we live in is horrible. Tax refunds are marked for tuition, new brew stuff will have to wait.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I try my hardest to not get tax refunds. If I can find a way to limit the amount of money the government can withhold from me, it's better for me. My money today is worth more than it is in a year from now.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo
I try my hardest to not get tax refunds. If I can find a way to limit the amount of money the government can withhold from me, it's better for me. My money today is worth more than it is in a year from now.
I like that idea. But I also know what it's like to have to pay those SOB's. in 2008 I forgot to mention the amount of unemployment I drew. So they sent me a 2 year old bill that amounted to $800. Then in 2010 I drew ALOT of unemployment and I can't afford to have taxes taken out of my unemployment checks or I can't make my bills. So I got another bill from them for $1000. It sucks having to pay them especially when you can barely afford to give them $25 a month. I had to wait till my 2011 tax return to pay them off. I wish I could set it up so at the end of the year we break even and have to pay nothing but also get nothing but I'm horrified about owing

Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1855 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1329

Come tax time,the average family seems to need that windfall for one thing or another.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #25
MagooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
It sure is nice of you all to have extra taken out of your paycheck as an interest free loan to the government so you can get it back to buy something. I'd rather save that in my own account and buy things when I want, not just in "tax season".
I agree with you. I have offered coworkers to give me the extra from every paycheck that they loan to the goverment interest free and I will gladley return it on Feb 1. Even if I put it in a simple savings acount I should clear a few hundred over the year. Walmart and pawnshops love this time of year. People rush to buy junk they dont need and then take it to the pawnshops in about May when they are broke.

"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I'm with you on that one... I typically try to work it so I pay a bit each year. Last year, I was pretty much break-even with the Fed, owing $50. This year, though, I screwed up, and will be getting $650 back from them.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
MagooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post

I'm with you on that one... I typically try to work it so I pay a bit each year. Last year, I was pretty much break-even with the Fed, owing $50. This year, though, I screwed up, and will be getting $650 back from them.
I have lucked out two years in a row. Last year I owed 9 dollars. This year I am getting 16 dollars back.

"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Hmmmm, I thought this thread was about what and how people were going to spend their tax return on brewing.
I guess I accidentally clicked on the financial advice thread.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

BGBC Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #29
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suminorudder View Post

It's called "Intaxication." The overwhelming feeling of joy at getting your refund until you realize it was your money in the first place

I was close to getting a bayou burner and a 10 gallon kettle, but it would have pushed the expense a bit to much. Also, its still really cold, and my landlord pays the heat

Tried my wort chiller last night on one of the extract kits I got, it knocked it down to 60 in 4 minutes. Really happy with my purchase there!
Kind of like when you find a $20 bill or something in your winter jacket when you get it out in the fall. You get all excited until you realize it was your money to start with.

I'm guilty of this myself. I'm going to get the equipment to go to all grain. I'm thinking just a single cooler that I will turn into a diy mlt and do batch sparging. May look into a set up that will allow for fly sparging. Haven't really decided yet. Most will go to bills.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #30
BamaBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default new brew house

unfortunately i couldn't afford to do the complete build this year, so I am going to start with the foundation. I am setting aside enough to set the forms and pour the slab. next year i will order my pre fab 20x30 "Garage". At least that is what it is being called around SWMBO. so in the meantime i will be tinkering with the keezer and brewing on my neighbors stove.

Quick Reply