Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tasting pointers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
FatDuc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tasting pointers?

So I just stopped by Cape Fear Beer & Wine, a fine local specialty beer shop, and picked up a mixed sixxer. I can't really afford to spend tons, so don't give me too hard a time on my selection... Here's what I got:

* Bellhaven- Wee Heavy, Scottish Ale
* Allagash- Grand Cru
* Franziskaner- Weissbier
* Southampton- Double White Ale
* Weyerbacher- Ras. Imp. Stout
* Gaffel- Kolsch

My quest is to maybe find out where I might start looking for what I want to brew next. To that end, what should I be "experiencing" in these beers? Anyone want to help identify any of the features I might like or dislike about any one of theses as I try them?

Thanks,
Matt

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Up first

The Bellhaven:

OK, this might not have been the ideal one to start with, but as I have a Scotch Ale in secondary at the moment I had to see if this is what I was envisioning when I selected the kit.

It's got a deep root beer brown color, and poured with a nice head of foam. It smells wonderful, but not awfully aromatic, kind of like a bowl of hot breakfast cereal, in a good way. Sorry, that's what I pictured with my nose in the cup and my eyes closed... It's also got very fine tiny bubbles. ABV for this one is 6.5%, and it's not readily apparent until well after the beer has gone down the throat. I get a light warm feeling a few seconds afterwards (my batch is measured at about 4.2% when it went to secondary). It's definitely sweet to start on the tongue, but for all the malt talk about Scotch ales, I'm really not get a blast of malty flavor from this one.

Bottom line, I like it alright, but I wouldn't pick this one for guys night out, or for a refreshing drink after a round of golf on a hot day. I also wouldn't drink more that one of these in a sitting. I hope mine has more maltiness, and maybe not just as sweet, if that's not too contradictory?

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
The Bellhaven:

OK, this might not have been the ideal one to start with, but as I have a Scotch Ale in secondary at the moment I had to see if this is what I was envisioning when I selected the kit.

It's got a deep root beer brown color, and poured with a nice head of foam. It smells wonderful, but not awfully aromatic, kind of like a bowl of hot breakfast cereal, in a good way. Sorry, that's what I pictured with my nose in the cup and my eyes closed... It's also got very fine tiny bubbles. ABV for this one is 6.5%, and it's not readily apparent until well after the beer has gone down the throat. I get a light warm feeling a few seconds afterwards (my batch is measured at about 4.2% when it went to secondary). It's definitely sweet to start on the tongue, but for all the malt talk about Scotch ales, I'm really not get a blast of malty flavor from this one.

Bottom line, I like it alright, but I wouldn't pick this one for guys night out, or for a refreshing drink after a round of golf on a hot day. I also wouldn't drink more that one of these in a sitting. I hope mine has more maltiness, and maybe not just as sweet, if that's not too contradictory?
Nice review! I'm not a wee heavy fan, since I also think they're too sweet and, well, heavy. I've had a couple that were "all right", too.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just noticed this got moved. Sorry, and thanks to the mod who placed it in a more appropriate section

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Selection #2

Went with the Weissbier:

Historically I've never been a big hefe fan. I don't know if this is the one to change my feelings, but it's drinkable.

I like the color of this one and, aside from the cloudiness, it reminds me of pouring a pilsner. The head is good, but doesn't hang around for very long. The nose on this one is much more interesting then the Wee Heavy. It's got a floral scent, with slight banana hints. This is a nice contrast to the Scot, and it's actually a brew I would be happy to order on a hot day after a round of golf, and I'd probably be happy having this with a nice grilled chicken sandwich too. Sorry, I'm just rolling with my inspiration here...

There's some spice in the aftertaste here. I can't nail it yet, but it's different then the initial citrus tone I get while the beer's on my tongue. I don't know if I care for it or not, but it could grow on me.

This could make me try a hefe of my own after not too long.

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default For the third taste tonight:

I went with the Allagash Grand Cru.

Let's just begin by saying I'm not really impressed. There was no head to speak of, and what little there was after the pour disappeared within seconds. There is carbination in the beer, so it's just a problem with head retention. Allagash labels this brew as a spiced beer, and the girl at the store said it was an American interpretation of a Saison. The spices don't come through in the aroma, and they pretty much fail to present on the tongue as well. It kind of tastes like a SNPA with half a pack of Equal tossed in. While it's labeled as having 7.2% ABV, I don't get that sense at all, and it fails to feel like a seasonal beer at all.

This one ain't my thing.

I'm trying to spread these out over the evening. I don't really need to get buzzed, and I'd like to cleanse the palate in between bottles.

Cheers,
Matt

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 11-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, after drinking 41 oz ( the Belhaven was a 500ml bottle, or 1 pint .9 oz according to the label) of imported and domestic higher than avg. ABV brew, and then eating a largish dinner with the family I'm holding off on the other 3 bottles for tomorrow evening.

I'd call tonight's winner the Weissbier. Upon a little more research it appears the spice flavor in it I was trying to place is actually the yeast, which is renowned for its clove overtones.

The Grand Cru was not my thing, and I'm now hoping the Scotch Ale I have in my secondary carboy isn't as sweet as the Wee Heavy I had tonight, although my wife actually loved that Belhaven, and I know it won't go to waste if I find I don't really like it. I'm now wishing I picked up a bitter or traditional pale ale. I'm really looking forward to the Kolsch as well. This is a beer I'd never even heard of before starting research on homebrewing. The Southampton is another I'm hoping is good.

We'll see soon enough, and thanks for following along. If anyone would like to correct any of assessments here I'm really open to some education on the subject. I don't claim to be any bit an expert, I am just winging this based on my untrained senses...

Matt

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
JeanLucD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I for one must say that I quite enjoyed reading what you wrote for the very fact that it wasn't steeped in all those overly flowery descriptions and jargon - which I still haven't really gotten used to. Your descriptive yet still brief enough and stick to the point. Nice one mate.

Argg, but this really makes the wait for my 18th unbearable - I'd just love to go and pick up a few bottles and do just what you've done, and mum and dad never have the time to spare to go themselves. I guess I'll just have to stick with what I've brewed myself, and wait out for that extra month and 15days. Although I have a feeling that there may not be many liquor shops open on Christmas day, but I've gone completely off the topic, .

Looking forwards to you opening up those three other bottles and telling us about them.

Secondary #1:My wash for distilling, yum yum.

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottled:my Belgian-like Wit, Mac's Lager (nz kit), James Squire Amber Ale clone, Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale, Munton's wheat and possibly some of my cider hidden somewhere - it seems to pop up somtimes, lol I guess I should have labelled them.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
To that end, what should I be "experiencing" in these beers? Anyone want to help identify any of the features I might like or dislike about any one of theses as I try them?

Thanks,
Matt
IMHO the key to sampling unknown styles and beers is to approach the glass with an open mind.

You need to remember that if you have never had a particular style, the example in your glass may or may not be typical of the style. Heck, the beer in your glass may not even be typical of that brewer's beer if it has been improperly stored/handled. You can consult the bjcp guidelines and sites like ratebeer & beeradvocate to get info about styles, brews and see how your experience compares to others.

Everyone has different preferences and yours may shift over time as well.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Tasting day 2 begins with:

The Kolsch...

It's clear. Looking at last night's picks, which all were more translucent than transparent, this one looks clean. It tastes it too. To me, this is beer. The initial taste is similar to a good pilsner, but the complexity of the brew is quick to show itself following the swallow. This beer is tasted more on the sides and back of the tongue, rather than the tip. I don't think I'm really getting a fruity taste, as is mentioned on the neck label of the bottle, but there's definitely a faintly fruity smell. I'm glad I chose this pictured glass for this one, as it really focuses the nose when you take a sip. This beer is dry, and refreshing. At 4.8% ABV I wouldn't call it a session beer, but I could drink a number of these at a sitting. As for a food pairing that came to mind, I'm picturing a nice plate of Italian cold cuts, with a healthy amount of spicy salame and coppa, as well as a stronger cheese and some crusty bread. This is just the beer to cut through the saltiness of the salame, and compliment it at the same time. I'd feel bad drinking it with a pizza, unless the pizza was made by hand and cooked in a wood-fired oven.

The shame of this one is that I don't currently have the refrigeration necessary to make a truly lagered Kolsch. I sure hope I can make an ale that has the bite of this one, without loading it too full of hops.

Any ideas for an extract/steep recipe that might have similar qualities to a nice Kolsch will be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Quote:
Fat Duc Brewing

Quick Reply