Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tastes change after illness?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
mrkeeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tastes change after illness?

Hey,
I'm sure this will pass, but thought it a marginally interesting thing to share...
I had strep throat over the holidays, so no turkey, beer, or wine at any of the three xmas dinners we went to
However... starting to get back on my feet and decided to "force" down a brew.. my inlaws had a mini-can of some carribbean beer, so I poured a glass and WOW... BITTTER ... like... majorly dominated by hop flavor.. almost unpleasant. A day later I try a Stella - wow... same thing! and SKUNKY! (I've never really identified a 'skunky' flavor before). Now, Stella has never been a favorite beer, but this was almost undrinkable.. weird.

Just as a curiousity.. has anyone else ever had a sudden (temporary I hope!) change in taste perception?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've noticed the same thing after a serious flu or sinus infection.

Some medications can temporarily effect your taste and smell.

It should go back to normal in a short time. If it doesn't I'd get checked out if I were you.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

If you had strep, then you were also on an antibiotic. They can change your taste perception. Plus, if you had other complications like a "cold" virus, etc., then that can really affect your taste. Give it time... at least until you're off your antibiotics. And please don't stop taking them before doctor's orders... even if you fell better.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Sadly lots of medications will F up your taste perception. It is a side effect of the drugs. Believe me I know from first hand experience.

Illness will do that too though. Your sense of smell and taste are linked so if one or the other is off they both suffer.

Just be glad you are not on any medications "full time". Your taste will recover.

I do not know how long you have been a craft/homebrew beer drinker but another thing to be aware of is your tastes and perceptions will become more attuned the more you learn about beer flavors and brewing. You will begin to scrutinize beers more. What once tasted fine may become undrinkable!

Oh, and Stella is a skunky beer. Anything in a green bottle generally will be. So perhaps your tastebuds were actually heightened in sensitivity!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post

Oh, and Stella is a skunky beer. Anything in a green bottle generally will be. So perhaps your tastebuds were actually heightened in sensitivity!
Thats what I was going to say. The Caribbean beer (Kalik?) is usually skunky too.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
mrkeeg
Recipes 

Interesting. Everything's pretty much back to normal now. (And whew, good thing too! What would I do with these built-in taps if I suddenly stopped liking beer?! ) What a weird thing though... such a sudden shift in taste perception!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeg View Post
Interesting. Everything's pretty much back to normal now. (And whew, good thing too! What would I do with these built-in taps if I suddenly stopped liking beer?! ) What a weird thing though... such a sudden shift in taste perception!
Oh man, sorry to tell you, but you will never like beer again. Go ahead and send me the taps and put it all out of your mind.
I am just doing this for your own good...... and because Big Kahuna hasn't beat me to it!

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Oh man, sorry to tell you, but you will never like beer again. Go ahead and send me the taps and put it all out of your mind.
I am just doing this for your own good...... and because Big Kahuna hasn't beat me to it!
Paging Evan!

Better run...

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2436 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

My father-in-law was on a med that basically took away his taste. Talk about awful. Yes, the strep might do it, but a sinus infection or antibiotics can also really affect your taste. Give it time.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yea, I've known people who have lost either taste or smell and in one case both senses. That would suck.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply