Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Taste buds changed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
ndhowlett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Taste buds changed?

I'm your typical homebrewer that before making beer mostly drank the swill that most american "enjoy." Nothing wrong with the swill, but it's swill to me now. I once drank the swill by the gallons, with no complaints, and even showed prefrence between the swills.

Went out about a month ago and tried to have multiple glasses of swill. Didn't think anything of it just went at it like I always did. got about half way through my first glass and couldn't drink anymore. I really couldn't it was that bad. This was the same type of beer that I had drank for years, and all the sudden my taste buds were begging me to stop.

I know it's typical but was hoping that someone would have something scientific to say about it (genetics, how taste buds act ect.).

Thanks

Primary: All Chinook IPA
Primary 2:
Secondary:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Bone dry
Keg 2: Begging for beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The same thing happened to me too.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first batch is in primary, so I haven't really had any homebrew (except a bottle of Germey's) - but last weekend I discovered how my tastebuds have changed. I downed Guiness like it was BMC - it didn't seem so extraordinarily stout any more.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

I was a Bud Light drinker forever. Since I've been hombrewing, whenever I go out it's not as easy to find a good beer. I wouldn't have thought about it before.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks to all of the good avice on this forum, and my tendency to gravitate to better beers for a long time now, I am having the same problem with BMC as well.

I am new, so I have been waiting Patiently (Ok, maybe not patiently) for my first brews to be ready. About 2 weeks in, I sat back and poured an Aussie BMC (Carlton Draught) and got ready to enjoy it. It's not a bad beer, but I thought to myself "If I brewed this beer myself, I would be disappointed!

Fortunately, my first batch of American Pale Ale is mature enough to drink! It's never going to mature long enough to become as good as it can get, since I will have it finished off before it's a month old. However, it was So nice, I immediately brewed another batch of it, and will brew another next week when this first batch is gone. I plan to have at least 20 gallons of this in different stages of maturity, so i can always throw another one into the kegerator when one is empty.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
Beertk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BMC has it's place. I enjoy my brew and imports most often but there is nothinging wrong with a Michalob either. It just depends what I am in the mood for. I argue that AB can produce a light american lager better than I can and beyond that more consistantly.

I will say this...I have grown to appreciate hops more as I have been brewing for the past several years.

"I don't drink to find happiness. Coincidentally. I do enjoy listening to you much more after a beer or three."

Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
Dave the Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers
I was a Bud Light drinker forever. Since I've been hombrewing, whenever I go out it's not as easy to find a good beer. I wouldn't have thought about it before.

Ditto, Now if some one give me a BL I won't drink it

Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Silviakitty

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Training your palate, maybe. Similar thing happened with me and coffee roasting; I can _drink_ Maxwell House, but I'll add a lot of cream and sugar to make it palatable. If I drink coffee I roasted (or any competent homeroaster or small commercial roaster), I rarely add a thing.

• Primary: [2 mr beer lil keg things] Apfelwein. One with sucrose and molasses, the other with fructose and honey.
  • Better Bottle: Empty. Going to be Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale.
  • Carboy:empty.
  • Secondary:Brewferm Frambois
  • Piggie: Irish Stout
  • Bottled: Red Ale, Irish Stout

Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #9
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's probably your tastes, not your taste buds, that are changing.

If the only beef you've ever eaten is a burger at McD's, you probably think beef is OK. Once you start eating steak you'll figure out that McD's is not beef at it's best.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
JeanLucD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7
It's probably your tastes, not your taste buds, that are changing.

If the only beef you've ever eaten is a burger at McD's, you probably think beef is OK. Once you start eating steak you'll figure out that McD's is not beef at it's best.
I'd have to agree with that. I was much the same as the OP and all you other guys before I got into homebrewing. Heck, I didn't really even like beer all that much but I loved the idea of crafting something like beer myself. I used to think it tasted too bitter and just couldn't even handle a BMC and yet now Guiness doesn't seem all that bitter or strong to me.

I guess your personal tastes do tend to change with time and experience.

Secondary #1:My wash for distilling, yum yum.

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottled:my Belgian-like Wit, Mac's Lager (nz kit), James Squire Amber Ale clone, Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale, Munton's wheat and possibly some of my cider hidden somewhere - it seems to pop up somtimes, lol I guess I should have labelled them.

Quick Reply