The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tapping a 1/6 keg - Did I just ruin my first keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
drdingo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tapping a 1/6 keg - Did I just ruin my first keg?

Just got done building my first kegarator (converted a sanyo). I only have 1 1/6 keg in there for now.

When I connected everything together I had the CO2 turned off by the little red switch. Once I tapped the keg I pulled the little release on the coupler to drain the CO2 out of the keg - I read somewhere that's what you are supposed to do...

Now the keg is foamy (which I assume is because of the high temp of it - 58*) but it is also flat.

Am I just being paranoid and once everything cools down it will be fine? Or should I have not released the pressure from the keg? Is there anything I should do?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just turn your co2 back on and carbonate it again. Depending on the temp., you can probably crank it up to about 10-12psi and let it sit for a few days. It'll be fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The procedure is this:

Pull the relief valve on the keg just prior to connecting the CO2 in order to vent any excess pressure and ensure that the serving pressure will be correct. THEN close the relief valve and tap the keg. Make sure the CO2 tank valve and petcock are open, and leave them open. If required, adjust the regulator to the desired serving pressure as the keg begins pressurizing.

Your keg is not ruined. Chill it and keep it under pressure, and it will recover in a few days (as mentioned in the above post).

Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
drdingo
Recipes 

Great news.

Thank you both for the replies and thanks for clearing up what the little valve was for!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
drdingo
Recipes 

It has cooled and the beer is tasting better, but now I'm getting alot of foam on the pours. 50% of the foam resides quickly and then the rest stays...

its sam adams Oktoberfest and I have the psi at 12. There are no bubbles in the lines and the beer is pouring at 39-40 ish.

Thoughts on how to fix the foam issue?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Next time, bring your keg home, let it sit in the kegerator to settle a few hours and return to serving temperature. Then tap it. There is likely no excess co2 pressure so pulling the relief is not an important part. Any decent brewery is going to properly carbonate their kegs and prepare them for distribution to maintain that carbonation.

Is it 39-40 or 39-40 ish? Use a calibrated thermometer to be sure and measure the temperature of a second pour by pouring one, chugging it and then pouring another. Also what diameter line and what length? Also is your tower cooled?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
drdingo
Recipes 

The beer is that temp. I was testing it after I poured with the method you said (including the chugging).

I got the kit from micro matic, this one:
Kegerator Conversion Kit, 2 Keg (Tower Kit, Less Cylinder)

I looked but didn't see the size listed. The tower is not cooled. I have built the fan assembly just haven't put it in as I was waiting on my second keg. But even after the first pour it still foams like that... Maybe I should have tried 3 pours instead of just two.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Those kits come with 3/16" lines. And 5' of that should be OK.

Try this: Micro Matic Keg Beer Blog » Blog Archive » The Kegerator Flashlight Test

Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
drdingo
Recipes 

Thank you sir.

I went home and filled a 16 oz glass. The next glass I poured was perfect.

Before I was using 12 oz glasses and I think the amount of foam I was getting was preventing all the warm beer in the lines to clear out because I couldn't pour enough out.
Today I added the fan and have the house shooting straight into the tower. I'll test it tonight when I get off work.

I have noticed I drink more now that I have a keg on tap. Its a nice side effect.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

If you get the system balanced, you should be able to draw a 12 oz glass equally as well. Although I do seem to get easier pours with my 22 oz glasses too.

Quick Reply