Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tap A draft Bottles for fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
BPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tap A draft Bottles for fermentation?

purchased a Tap a draft system and find I really do not like it. I like bottles and will bear the drudgery of bottling to be able to go down to the beer fridge and choose from 6 or 8 different beers. Was wondering if anyone has used those brown 1.25 gallon TAD bottles as a fermenter or a secondary for small batches? seems like an easy conversion for recipes by just quartering them (hop adjustments understood). and bottling a twelve pack up to a case is much easier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I suppose anything is possible, but I would think it would be kind of a pain--if anything because those stupid blue bottles won't stand up by themselves, and if you lay them down, they might leak.

Wait--you're talking about the brown ones. Those do stand up I think. Okay. That should work better, I'd think.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
BPD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The brown ones do stand and the center is raised similar to soda bottles. Am most interested in using them for small batches of beers that I know I will be the only one drinking, stouts, porters, strong ales and some experiments. I have them and do not want to just let them sit and if they can be used I do not need to purchase small glass or Better bottles

Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

No reason you can't use them, just need tiny stoppers for the airlocks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply