Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tampa/Gainesville crew Florida. What do you think of world of Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
Tiako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have never been to Spring hill but I know quite a few people that come into Tampa to go to WoB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
Houblon
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
- a buddy of mine drank 3 different Rocheforts in one sitting the other day.
3 beers? my 110lb wife could and has done that with no problem

Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
rjebrewer
Recipes 

I am 24 and I think it's OK. The music is usually so loud you can hardly talk to anyone, although you could obviously change that if you owned one. They do have a pretty good beer selection though, but I always felt like WOB gave a yuppie beer bar vibe. Like it was a beer bar for people that wanted somewhere to go in order to feel like they were in on the craft beer scene. But of course that could be just the one's I've been to, Bruce B Downs, Dale Mabry locations in Tampa. I've enjoyed places like Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel or The Pour House in Tampa better, even though they are similar establishments. That being said WOB is always busy, so from a investment standpoint carrying the WOB name may be beneficial over opening your own. They are expanding rapidly in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Tiako
Recipes 

The music does differ from location to location so it does it look like owners have control over that.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Broke ass kids in Gainesville? You wouldn't know it, with all the BMW's, VW Jettas/Passats and other high end vehicles these kids drive. They all seem to be able to spend $7-10 for lunch every day, too.

I think it is worth looking into, IMHO.

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 10-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #26
Tiako
Recipes 

Yeah def some rich kids in gainesville.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #27
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

One in Gainesville may work. Stubbies downtown is similar, but extremely small and gets shoulder to shoulder crowded on busy nights. I do enjoy the atmosphere on slow nights or before the rush.

I've never been to a WOB, so I can't comment on the place itself. I don't mind the yuppie factor, as long as the staff isn't snobby or pretentious (which I sometimes see at Stubbies). I just want to sit in the corner and sip on a few good beers. I'm not one for live music either. If I want to hear music, I'll go to a show. If I'm going to a beer bar and spending some good money on beer I can buy for cheaper, I want to have a nice quiet corner to hang out and talk with a couple of mates, ya know? Maybe keep the music to a few nights a week, lol.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #28
Tiako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny013 View Post
One in Gainesville may work. Stubbies downtown is similar, but extremely small and gets shoulder to shoulder crowded on busy nights. I do enjoy the atmosphere on slow nights or before the rush.

I've never been to a WOB, so I can't comment on the place itself. I don't mind the yuppie factor, as long as the staff isn't snobby or pretentious (which I sometimes see at Stubbies). I just want to sit in the corner and sip on a few good beers. I'm not one for live music either. If I want to hear music, I'll go to a show. If I'm going to a beer bar and spending some good money on beer I can buy for cheaper, I want to have a nice quiet corner to hang out and talk with a couple of mates, ya know? Maybe keep the music to a few nights a week, lol.
I know they have music on Friday, Sat, Wed, Not sure about the other days. But at some of them you can sit outside and not here the music. Their beer is way cheaper than any place in gainesville and the staff has been great at all the ones I have been to in Tampa.

In general Tampa is a place you should check out for beer. Quite a few places here. But yeah I don't like stubbies for the same reason you said.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #29
kjjohns5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
I like all those places besides The independent. Worst place I have been to.
What!? Really? I love The Independent. Solid beers there, for a really good prices. I've had beer there several times with JB from Dunderbak's. He loves The Independent too.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #30
Tiako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjohns5 View Post
What!? Really? I love The Independent. Solid beers there, for a really good prices. I've had beer there several times with JB from Dunderbak's. He loves The Independent too.
The bar itself is just too small. They should have ran the bar top the other way to allow better service. I can't believe they get two or three people there.

I feel WoB and Dunderbaks have better prices. I also didn't much like the crowd there.

Quick Reply