Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tampa/Gainesville crew Florida. What do you think of world of Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Tiako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I think something like that would be a great asset to the City of Alachua and or High Springs up at exit 399 on I-75. There is some property available up there, close to the freeway.

The biggest problem in Gainesville is adequate parking. I think the city would rather see parking lots full of grass and trees, than cars.
Do these cities not have any beer bars at all? I would love to open any bar near gainesville but if it was open there I highly doubt it would be a World of Beer as the city is much too small and the crowd is not young enough. But I am sure a bar there would be much cheaper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Tiako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
WOB in Westchase is always packed and it's very small. They cram a band upstairs and it gets very loud inside. Nice patio area for smokers and not so much noise. They do have a good diverse selection of taps and 300+ bottles so there's plenty of choices. From what I'm told the one on 4th Street in St. Pete is doing very well too. Good luck if you take the plunge. Just curious, what is the estimated time it'll take to recoup the initial $750K if the place takes off?
I have not put in for an application yet so I am limited on that information and I am sure it differ by location.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Gainesville has the right age demographics - perhaps too young. It's a college town (duh) with a lot of Natty Light drinking broke-assed kids. Not a likely place to sell a lot of $7.00 pints.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Call it "Jorts" and make sure to lease a trailer and get a permit to sell in J-ville once a year.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Tiako
Recipes 

Quote:
Gainesville has the right age demographics - perhaps too young. It's a college town (duh) with a lot of Natty Light drinking broke-assed kids. Not a likely place to sell a lot of $7.00 pints.
Well they have two places for good beer one is packed and too small. While I don't like the feel at the other one.

I think if people want to drink great beer there should be no qualifications for this. WoB is a great place to drink and not feel like you are in the wrong place.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
kjjohns5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In Tampa, Dunderbak's is where it's at. JB is so dedicated. The guy has the best beer menu, everytime I walk in.

Another good place in Tampa is The Independent on Florida Ave. Very good beer there with an extremely chill atmosphere.

Datz is good but can be pricy and the beer can be had other places.

WOB is huge with the young crowd but they do have good selections as far as their beers.

Or head to Cigar City and just drink their beer in their bar. Really good!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Tiako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjohns5 View Post
In Tampa, Dunderbak's is where it's at. JB is so dedicated. The guy has the best beer menu, everytime I walk in.

Another good place in Tampa is The Independent on Florida Ave. Very good beer there with an extremely chill atmosphere.

Datz is good but can be pricy and the beer can be had other places.

WOB is huge with the young crowd but they do have good selections as far as their beers.

Or head to Cigar City and just drink their beer in their bar. Really good!
I like all those places besides The independent. Worst place I have been to.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #18
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Stubbies is downtown and is packed wall to wall every weekend night. Pretty busy on the weekdays too. They have 300+ beers in bottle, a buddy of mine drank 3 different Rocheforts in one sitting the other day. Beers start at $3-4 bottle and go up to $20-30 for the special stuff.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Rochefort... mmmmmmmm

and kjj is right on with Dunderbak's - JB is a true beer geek and gets some fantastic and obscure stuff that you will never see anywhere else in the state.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I really like Dunderbaks, I have not tried any of the others yet. When I get back from this deployment (15 days and counting) I will be having a party at the Tampa Bay Brewing Company.

On a side note, Spring Hill used to have a micro brewery / restaurant, it closed because of horribly bad beer and food, then re-opened as a sports bar and they wanted to brew BMC beers in their brewing tanks! Yeah no thanks, last I heard it went under as well.

Spring Hill really needs a classy place to get good beer, the closest place is Tampa, and there are a lot of Tampa folks that live in Spring Hill/Brooksville area that commute.

Josh

Quick Reply