The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Talk to me about English Mild

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Lodovico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Talk to me about English Mild

So I brewed Jamil's English Mild from the BCS book and drank one last night. Either I finally found a beer style that I don't really like, or I messed something up.

I've read the specific BJCP descriptions, so I know some of the characterisitics but could others here give me your description of what this beer is supposed to be like.

It just seems SUPER thin to me. Like water with a little bit of malt flavor in it. I nailed my OG and FG, so I know that it was brewed pretty well. No off flavors or anything, just really thin.

I was very careful to not overcarb because I read a lot before about it seeming to thin if you over carbonate. I carbed to 1.4 volumes. I also served it at the 55-60 degrees that Jamil recommends.

Is this because I bottled it and most people put it on draft? I doubt it because I did chat with a few people on HBT that bottle their milds and really love them.

It's only been in the bottle for 14 days. I just didn't expect it to be so watery. Has a nice copper/brown color to it, no real hop aroma or presence which I realize there shouldn't be.

Help?

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Milds, as well as Scottish ales can be very hard. There is so little malt in them. I mean, how do you make a 1.030 beer with tons of flavor? I still haven't been successful. My Scottish 70/- turned out similar.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I've done his dark english mild and it was fantastic not thin and had big flavor.

Pat

Old 12-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
I've done his dark english mild and it was fantastic not thin and had big flavor.

Pat
Any elaboration here Pat? I'm glad it worked for you but what could I have done wrong here? Did you follow the recipe exactly? I hit the OG and FS within a point, so I should have the flavor, but I don't.

Or maybe it's because I've never had a mild and I don't know what to expect. Maybe I'll send you a bottle and you can tell me

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I had never had an English Mild either, but I've got Orphy's on tap now. Because its name is "Mild" , I kinda expected it to be a small beer. However I think that's why Orphy mashes high so as to retain as much maltiness. I mashed at 157, its a pretty good beer and SWMBO likes it. Next time I'm going to mash a bit higher just to see if there is a big difference.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have done the same recipe. The one I have on tap now was done with S-04 and I think mine is thin also but has a really complex taste. I can pick up some chocolate and a hint of tobacco at the end. I am attributing the thinness to my mash temp. I also have a keg that I fermented with Nottingham that I have not tapped. I really like the beer and will brew it again with a different mash temp.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Milds won't be as viscous as some of their bigger cousins in the Porter/Stout family, but they shouldn't taste watery or thin, even bottled.

I'd adjust your mash temperature and maybe add some CaraPils next time to boost the body. You can also up the Crystal malt(s) by a couple of percent.

As for this batch, I'd brew something along the lines of a Brown Porter (mashed fairly warm and fermented with S04 or a similar yeast) and blend the two at serving time.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4199 Times on 3057 Posts
Likes Given: 778

My mild was terrific, using Jami's recipe.

What temp did you mash at? I mashed at 154, I believe. Now, a mild isn't going to be as "thick" as a porter, so I wonder if you just expected something different than a mild?
From the BJCP:
A light-flavored, malt-accented beer that is readily suited to drinking in quantity. Refreshing, yet flavorful. Some versions may seem like lower gravity brown porters. May have evolved as one of the elements of early porters. In modern terms, the name "mild" refers to the relative lack of hop bitterness.
Most are low-gravity session beers in the range 3.1-3.8%, although some versions may be made in the stronger (4%+) range for export, festivals, seasonal and/or special occasions. Generally served on cask; session-strength bottled versions don't often travel well. A wide range of interpretations are possible
Pale English base malts (often fairly dextrinous), crystal and darker malts should comprise the grist. May use sugar adjuncts. English hop varieties would be most suitable, though their character is muted. Characterful English ale yeast.

I used Golden Promise malt in my mild. It was a very good beer! I'd call it a dark colored session beer.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Ksosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a suggestion, but you might want to pick up a couple of the commercial examples given in the BJCP guide for that style. Compare them to yours and see if it's your beer, or the entire style, that you're not impressed with.

Also, next time mash higher maybe (as others have noted)?

-Ksosh
----------------------------------
Primary: Belgian Dark Strong, Version 2
Secondary: Second running session ale #2

Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

The only one I brewed was the Mild Mannered Ale recipe from this site (don't remember who's it is...is that Orphy's?). Anyways it turned out fantastic. It wasn't thin at all...I would actually have never guessed it was such a small beer if I wasn't the one who brewed it. Tons of flavor as well both from the 15 minute Fuggles addition and the malt.

Quick Reply