Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Taking your equipment to a friends

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
raabs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I do it all the time simply because I can't brew in my apartment and my only brew buddy up here doesn't have equipment. Carboy ends up riding shotgun in my small coupe with all the AG gear barely fitting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

It's one of the reasons that I have gotten into BIAB been teaching to newer brewers who found that kits/extract are just to expensive and didn't think that they had the space or could afford getting into all grain. I like to say it's about the beer

Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
rdkopp0153
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, the adventure went well, nothing was forgotten on the way to my friend's house, but a few things were forgotten on the way home. Thankfully, I remembered the carboy full of beer! Which fits perfectly and stable right below the front seat. An Imperial Red and Black IPA are in the books.
It is a bit of work loading and unload gear, but having buddies around and the fact that both people can brew their own batch makes it worth it. We may try sharing equipment next week and staggering the start times.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I do it all the time, and not just to friends, but to group brew days like "Teach a Friend to Brew Day" or the AHA Big brew. We get about 50 folks brewing on those days, ALL bringing their gear. Some people bring trailers hauling herms and rims systems even.

We usually have a tent of homebrewtalkers.

A lot of us from HBT get together quite regularly and brew together. I've lived the last decade in lofts or condos with no yardspace, so if I want to do full volume brews I almost always have to haul my gear somewhere.

There's no problem with transporting your fermenter, as long as you make sure it won't spill. Otherwise the agitation is just a form of adding oxygen to the wort.

It's not really a big deal. I think it's part of the fun of brewing is getting a group together to brew, and that requires folks to haul their gear someplace.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

rdkopp0153 Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
BrewingChemist
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Glad to hear it went well! My hubby and I have hauled all of our AG equipment and brewed with friends before - boy am I glad we have a hatchback! All the equipment just barely fit! We did a 10gallon batch so we had two carboys strapped in to the back seat on the way home! It is quite a bit of fun to group brew, but quite a bit of equipment to move. i'm not sure we will be doing it again anytime too soon.

Quick Reply