Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Take homebrew on commercial flight out of Country?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
aliu630
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Take homebrew on commercial flight out of Country?

Is it possible to take a couple bottles of homebrews on a commercial flight out of the US. I want to pack 'em into my suitcase if it's possible to do. I know you can only care so much liquid carry-on so wasn't sure what the rule was if it's stored. I know you can't ship them USPS in the country so just curious.

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't think, you can't take liquid in your carry on, and the baggage compartments aren't pressurized so the bottles will probably break if you check them in your luggage.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You can't carry it on, but you can check it in your luggage.

Luggage compartments are pressureized, that is where some of the larger pets go when you travel. Even so, pressure is not an issue. Most breakage occurs when 2 bottles hit each other inside your bag and not from any outside trauma. Pack well and make sure everything is immobilized.

The larger issue may be with the customs in whatever country you are flying to. Saudi Arabia would be an obvious problem.

I packed about a dozen homebrews with me when I met up with Orfy in the UK. Went through immigrations and was shocked that all I had to do was pick up my bag.

In stark contrast, on the return into the US, as you may know, you clear Customs by presenting your credentials and then claim your checked luggage where it may be inspected and you may be asked about the contents.

Still, be prepared to lose it all if you go this route.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
curt656
Recipes 

My friend just came back from Belgium with 2 suitcases full of bottled beer. I don't know how he packed everything and I didn't ask. I just made great haste to his house when he called me over to try everything!

I myself, have brough back cans of beer from the UK in my checked luggage without a problem. I was afraid to try bottles, but after my friends success I will bring bottles back next time.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
aliu630
Recipes 

awesome! Good to know guysI will just pack em in w/ my luggage and if they need me to dump it, no major loss. Thanks

Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Bigsnake
Recipes 

I'm planning on heading to Belgium end of December for a month and was wondering this question as well. Wasn't planning on bring back into the US but I was wanting to take some with me. g/f has family over there and they have land over here where I live. Actually have offered to let us use the land for whatever farming we would want to do. I'm thinking Muscadines for some wine, since I doubt hops would enjoy our weather.

6g Better Bottle: Belgian Abt 12 Style
Kegged: English Barleywine, debaniel's Bananas Foster
Bottled: Dude's Fat Tire Clone, Belgian Pale Ale, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #7
aliu630
Recipes 

another question, I'm planning to bring a mead that I threw in refrigerator to stop fermentation. I'm worried that when I package it in the luggage that it may possibly explode due to it carbing up. Am I over thinking this or is there a way I can permanently stop the yeast from fermenting again?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

aliu630 - Wrap it well with paper, then a water tight bag. Worst case is you have to wash your cloths, second is having to dump it down your mouth at customs. Just make sure you get into a taxi and not drive afterwards.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliu630 View Post
another question, I'm planning to bring a mead that I threw in refrigerator to stop fermentation. I'm worried that when I package it in the luggage that it may possibly explode due to it carbing up. Am I over thinking this or is there a way I can permanently stop the yeast from fermenting again?
Potasium Sorbate will stop fermentation.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4924 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliu630 View Post
Well, if you put it in the fridge to stop fermentation and take it out- it will blow up. Not just because it''ll be warmed up so that fermentation would restart, but it'll be warmed up, jostled, thrown into a luggage compartment, probably cooled and warmed again, and shaken a few more times on the way out to the baggage carousel. It's already risky to just take it out at home because fermentation would restart, but to take it out and abuse it like that is asking for a bottle bomb.

If fermentation hadn't stopped, and if there are still sugars in there, I wouldn't chance this.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply