Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Swmbo spoils me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Malric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Swmbo spoils me

Swmbo doesn't drink beer, but she tolerates my obsession. For christmas, she bought me a 10 gallon Blichmann pot for mashing. I recently purchased 7 ball lock kegs, a used therminator and a march pump. Now she bought me a barley crusher for my birthday. Here's to all of those that tolerate our obsession with a knowing smile.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You are truly a fortunate man as am I. Kegs, chugger pumps, ph meter and temp controls, only to name a few gifts my SWMBO has given me in the last 3 years. Oh and mine likes to drink the beer to.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am a fortunate one too. She was tired of seeing all the bottles in the garage. When her favorite beer was being served from the tap at our favorite microbrew, she asked "why don't we do it that way." A keg system showed up at my office but with two kegs. I asked her why two kegs. She said, "One is mine, it can only have a brown ale in it at all times. The other one is yours."

I married lucky.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Count me as equally fortunate! Mine doesn't drink beer either (or any alcohol for that matter) -AND her last couple of marriages were abusive husbands who were also alcoholics!
She has no problem with my hobby, and even purchased me a kegerator so I can have my favorite libation close at hand. She encouraged me to build the all-grain rig (HERMS) (though I think that was to get me out of the kitchen and off of her stove).
So add my thanks to SWMBOs who stand behind their brewers.

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mine started this obsession, she bought me a mini-brew conical kit for Christmas. Now she doesn't say no when I want to buy something, all I have to do is remind her she created this monster. She really does enjoy the beers i make too and has talked about going to a bigger set-up. I can't wait 'till Christmas comes again.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Mine bought me the equipment kit to get started. When I found out I really liked brewing and only one fermenter was slowing me down, she showed up one day with two more fermenters so I could brew more.

She is thrilled that I like brewing so much and even though she does not drink much she does know good beer and approves of my brews. She is the one that got me into Belgians when we first started dating many years ago. She give me good critiques of what I brew aNd even offers some good suggestions.

Nice having a supportive spouse.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

SWMBO doesn't like beer in any form. (still working on that) That said, 2 chest freezers, 10 kegs, and a new Speidel Braumeister system later, she completely supports my hobby. I keep her stocked up on kit wine and also try new 'fruity' offerings for her so she has something to enjoy as well, even though that's not my thing. I got lucky and married well - can't ask for more than that!

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
FireBrew63
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm another fortunate one as well. My SWMBO loves my beers but her Gout doesn't. I've been trying to make a more "gout friendly" beer for her. SWMBO's gifts to me over the years: carboy, bottling bucket, 6 cornie kegs, CO2 set up, and her patience!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrew63 View Post
I'm another fortunate one as well. My SWMBO loves my beers but her Gout doesn't. I've been trying to make a more "gout friendly" beer for her. SWMBO's gifts to me over the years: carboy, bottling bucket, 6 cornie kegs, CO2 set up, and her patience!
Ugh, I hate gout. I have it (thanks to my Grandfathers' genes -and he was a man who REALLY loved his beer -I inherited his love of beer, and his gout -moderate to severe flares). My primary care doc once told me he knew I must really love beer to continue to brew and consume something that causes such a high degree of pain!
IF you can figure out a gout-friendly recipe, share it! Personally I sincerely doubt it can be done due to the proteins in the beer, but I'll keep hoping!

On a side note, does your SWMBO take anything to lower her uric acid? I'm on a relatively new drug called Uloric -my gout control is the best its been in years!

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yep, mine's awesome too.

I told her that they had these brand new 2.5 gal kegs at my LHBS. She asked me whether I'd make her cider if we got one (I'm not a huge cider fan and she takes so long to drink it and I dont want a keg out of commish for so long). I said absolutely!

Well, 85 bones later, I'm the proud owner of one. 2 gals of apple juice fermenting as we speak.

Quick Reply