New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > SWMBO rejected my IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
RandomBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I had a SWMBO once till I divorced her and replaced her with someone who likes IPA

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Oginme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Don't take it personally, each person has their own tastes. Also remember that some of the aromatic hop aromas which will influence the strong fruit taste will slowly blend in and diminish with time. Give it a few weeks and have her try it again.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
Ilan34
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to just say that although she gave my ipa the smack down, she has been just unbelievably supportive of the way this hobby has overtaken our apartment and our lives in less than a year. I read a lot of SWMBO stories on here and generally feel pretty lucky.

And no, she didn't discover this thread. :-)

She's promised to try it again with a fresh perspective. As for it being a young beer, I don't think that's the case. It was in primary for four weeks and bottle for 25 days before I cracked it open.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #14
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Let it go man, taste is subjective

Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan34 View Post
I have to just say that although she gave my ipa the smack down, she has been just unbelievably supportive of the way this hobby has overtaken our apartment and our lives in less than a year. I read a lot of SWMBO stories on here and generally feel pretty lucky.

And no, she didn't discover this thread. :-)

She's promised to try it again with a fresh perspective. As for it being a young beer, I don't think that's the case. It was in primary for four weeks and bottle for 25 days before I cracked it open.
I take back what I said about it being a young beer. You've let it mature just fine. The hop "punch in the face" aroma will fade with more time though.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
Oginme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Sounds like you've aged it well. As you try different styles, you will probably find a few that she likes. I've brewed a couple that I think are OK, but not great and my SWMBO has ordered me to re-brew, as she and her friends like it.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My SWMBO asked me to make her a clone of Alaskan Black IPA, and I think sure, why not, I've never brewed a BIPA before, this should be a good challenge. (yeah, right, i'm toast...) So I looked up quite a few recipes and decided to give it a shot. Ok, I was clueless, time to get busy, where to start? After perusing lots of answers, I had even more questions. So Brew Mate had a CDA recipe builder, and I used it to get to the proper style. Style, schmyel, who really cares if it isn't being sent off to a competition? Well, I do and I don't. As IPA's are notorious for being spendy due to the hop costs, I do care about the flavor of the finished ale. I took a chance and created a recipe, hoping my choice of hops would work well together. The beginning IBU was 91, and I dry hopped with another 2 oz., and I knew for sure my wife would like it as she is a borderline hop head, but I am not. Initially, the beer was very hop bitter, and sort of dry hop flavor was only a small addition. We tasted one last night (3-1/2 weeks in bottle) and I was amazed. The overpowering bitterness was gone, and this kind of floral and citrus aroma hit your nose before the beer was in your mouth. Yeah! I will wait 2 or 3 more weeks before I crack another one, and I do hope at 3 months in the bottle, it should be great. Sorry for the long post, I have ADHD and tend to forget this forum is not a blog.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

I'm lost here. Check my math:

You brewed a batch of IPA that you really like.
She doesn't care for it and likely won't drink any of it.
Equals you get more of this IPA for yourself.

Please point out where the problem is...

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
Ilan34
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I'm lost here. Check my math:

You brewed a batch of IPA that you really like.
She doesn't care for it and likely won't drink any of it.
Equals you get more of this IPA for yourself.

Please point out where the problem is...
Lol. Fair points. Well, believe it or not, I do need help drinking all this beer, and she hasn't been crazy about my last few brews. So, the stockpile is building up, and we live in an apartment. Besides the fact that it's just nice to enjoy a beer together that I brewed.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

next time, maybe make an IPA using only chinook, columbus, apollo and simcoe... if she doesn't like fruity, hit her with the dank.

ok, you don't need to go full nuclear on the dank, but galaxy and amarillo and among the fruitiest hops out there (add some citra for the trifecta). maybe use only one of those two and balance out with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I've found that by 3 months most of the aroma has gone.
but what's the point of adding all those tasty & expensive hops if only to end up aging the beer until those hops can't be perceived?!? might as well not add them in the first place and make a mellow pale ale.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Quick Reply