Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > SWMBO Learning to Drink Beer?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Gfei
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default SWMBO Learning to Drink Beer?!

Last weekend we went out to Capital Ale House with some people, I convinced SWMBO (Bud Lite only drinker, can't stand the taste of actual beer) to try something different (I told her to go for a wheat beer). She ordered a purple haze and loved it.

Today we went on an afternoon trip to Wegmans to pick up some stuff we can't find easily in Richmond (mmm white hots). Walking past the beer cooler she spotted six packs of purple haze, I've never seen her so excited about beer. She grabbed that and started looking through the section with local micros looking for other beers she might like.

Anywho, grabbed a pack of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis and some individual 20ish oz bottles of some other stuff (SN Glissade for us to try and a bottle of double chocolate stout for me... plus a bottle of I don't really know what that came in a very nice 22oz swing top).

I'm excited, she wasn't crazy about the blond ale I brewed (guess I'll be draining that keg myself) but we may be on to something here. Just need to develop her taste for hops and we'll be set.

Just needed to tell someone that...

Chris
Damn Yankee Brewing

|Bar Build|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

And so it begins... good for her!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Omegagodly
Recipes 

so it CAN be done!! lol just kidding. that good that both of you guys can enjoy beer. it can be a hard job to do switching somebody over from budlight to something dark, or even anything else that has FLAVOR!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I first "learned to drink beer" it was coors light (I know...) and I only leaned because they (my "teachers") kept taking away my 2/3 full warm beer and replacing it with the ice cold stuff (which now I know is what made that swill half drinkable.)

Before I switched to homebrewing I drank India (only available in NL, but basically one of the heavier Molson products.) We have since tried a number of craft beers.

I think that the better the beer you drink the more you are likely to actually want to try more, because there is more flavour, more complexity, etc. I am sure there are styles that I won't like when I get to them... but I am more and more likely to try anything the more that I drink stuff that is not crap.

Not really sure if I am making any sort of point here, but after typing all this I am not deleting it

Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
BrewDocND
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I tried for the longest time to get SWMBO to enjoy beer. She used to like a hoegaarden or blue moon now and then in college, but is now lukewarm about them. I tried to get her to try american ales and IPAs, but she takes one sip and shakes her head. Finally, I discovered Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Now she's loving stouts and porters, even if they aren't as chocolaty as Young's. (hence the vanilla porter I have bottled currently)

So I understand your excitement.

Kegged- Scottish Heavy (first kegged batch and I didn't f#&% it up!)
Bottled- Belgian Dubbel (Brewing Classic Styles).
Bottled- French Saison (BCS) Bottled March 17.
Belgian Pale with JP dregs Bottled Feb 3.
Dumped- 1.5 gallons Dubbel on orval/JP dregs colonized by fruit flies :(

Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
carp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Don't give up. When my wife and I got together about 15 yrs ago we both drank bud light. I started getting into SNPA (my dad kept kegs of it) and she couldn't stand it- said it was soapy. Within a few years we had SNPA on tap and she certainly drank her share. But she had almost zero interest or tolerance for anything more aggressive than SNPA. But since I've been brewing (July 2009), entirely IPAs, she now disdains SNPA as being boring and wimpy. Give her a good 6.5% ABW with 60+ IBUs and she's happy.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Its only a matter of time before she is a raging hop head!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

My gf loves beer. We very similar tastes and she enjoys helping me brew. She doesn't care about the technical stuff, but she really likes capping bottles and drinking the end product.

The guy who got me into homebrewing is less fortunate. His wife hated beer. He got her to drink Purple Haze, and my gf got her to try some fruity lambics. It took a long time, but she's starting to develop a taste for good beer.

There is hope for you/her.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Msbeer
Recipes 

Gfei.

Did you pick up a couple of cans of Grandma Brown's Baked Beans. Lived in the hometown of Wegmans for over sixty years.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Thakog
Recipes 

My wife has a limited taste for beers (she tries, bless her.) Normally it is fruity/wheat beers she likes, *but* I recently was drinking one of lefthand brewings milk stouts and she fell in love with it. She wants me to try brewing some now.

Quick Reply