Sweetwater IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhethcote

Reaction score
HI Everyone,

I find myself back in the Atlanta area again and just had a couple of Sweetwater IPAs. I have always liked it a lot and tonight it had a particularly "bright" taste. It was nice and hoppy and it just kinda "popped".

What is it exactly that gives it that Pop?

Thanks - BH

I read on another forum that they used to used Columbus But they changed there recipe and now use simcoe.

I would love to find a tried and true clone recipe.:confused: I have found one but it doesn't seem right and know one has vouched for it. Right know I don't have the time or money right know to experiment. If any one has one they have tried and lives up to the original, I beg you, Please post it. :)

I have been wanting to go on that tour for months now. The brewery is only a couple hours away, can't seem to find the time.

Any information you can get will be helpfull. That along with some expert advice from some of theses guys and we should be golden. :mug:

For me the SW IPA tastes like Grapefruit juice mixed into the beer. I picked up another 6 pack a week ago to try it again and found myself only being able to drink 1. I'll save the rest for guests who want to try it later.

The Sweetwater 420 on the other hand, besides supporting the local brewery, this is a beer I would choose anytime and is a favorite. :mug:

I was also told by an employee that it was 100% Simcoe... Of course he was a PR guy and he could be wrong.

I would love to have this recipe as well. I love their IPA and would make this in a heartbeat if I had even the slightest clue on how to make it.

John, could you pm the person "in the know" and see what you can find out?

Give their IPA another try - maybe just not your first beer of the evening... it definitely grows on you.

Yeah, I always give a beer a second chance, sometimes preconceptions take over and you don't give them a fair shake. In this case it does tastes like fruit flavoring, grapefruit, and I just don't like anything with fruit in it like that. That means I don't drink the blue either but I have tried it (20oz draft)!

It's ok, the 420 is the only one you can buy in a 12 pack anyhow and cheaper that way and I love the 420 :mug:.

Back