Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Surely somebody has already done this...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
AggieChemDoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Surely somebody has already done this...

I have an impending new arrival to the family. I was considering doing something huge (barleywine, quadruppel, imperial stout, etc) and bottling it in 24 24 oz bottles and laying it away. Just a little something for Daddy to have a bottle of on Junior's birthday each year.

Has anybody done this, and what were the results? Can I reasonably expect something to last 20 years, or am I going to be drinking garbage at 5+?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Idears?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
darknova306
Recipes 

I had a bottle of Thomas Hardy's last year that was from 1988, so about 20 years old, that was damn delicious. If you make a huge beer, it should age nicely. I personally love the idea of what you're doing.

I'd go with a barleywine myself, but any of the styles you mention should work if big enough.

[SIZE="1"]On Tap:
Dark Mild
Pale Ale
Imperial IPA

Old 11-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Handle
Recipes 

Grimtas did something similar in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas
I have a bottle of stout that's nearly 9 years old. I brewed it the weekend after my son was born. Gonna make him drink it at 21
I think it's an awesome idea, and one I alread told the SWMBO I'll be doing when the time comes.

"What if they don't like beer?" she asked.

I replied that my son or daughter should be able to choke down a beer with me when they turn 21, no matter how horrible it is.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
GregJ
Recipes 

If you are going to age that long i would make at least 21 bottles, so Junior can have one on his 21st. Maybe it will get him(or her) into Homebrewing.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Mead and/or wines stand up to the test of time better than beer. I've had a few aged barleywines, and it's an aquired taste to be sure. It's pretty common to make a "21 year mead" when the kid is born, and pop a bottle when they hit the magic number.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 11-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Handle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
If you are going to age that long i would make at least 21 bottles, so Junior can have one on his 21st. Maybe it will get him(or her) into Homebrewing.
Better yet, have them help you brew something a month or so before they turn 21. Then they can have it on their birthday and share amongst their BMC friends.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Heckle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would go with a wine or mead instead of a beer as others have mentioned. And the idea of having the little one make a batch with you that they can drink when it is done/they turn 21 sounds fun too!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
AggieChemDoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thought I would update y'all on this one.

I DID, in fact, brew a large 1.100 barleywine with an egregious hop bill after my son was born. It finished out at around 1.024 and I bottled it in 24 oz bottles.

I tried one at six months just to see how it was... and it was good. Very good, in fact. It is more aggressively carbed than I had planned, leading me to believe that even after a month of secondary, it dropped a couple points in the bottle.

I had my first "official" bottle on Junior's birthday back on 12/16. The alcohol bite the brew had at six months had disappeared. The hops had also really mellowed, without nearly the aroma that I thought it might have. It does have a nice bitter backbone to stand up to all the malt, and was really a good brew at 1 year old.

I have twenty more layed away in the basement.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am planning on doing the same thing here soon. Not sure on style yet but leaning towards barleywine. Planning two mashes. Probably all MO base malt. The first mashes runnings will get boiled down to 25% then the other mashes runnings will get added to the kettle and boiled for another 120 minutes. Hoping to get 22-25, 24 oz bottles. I've kept a few smaller stouts around for a few years and they all were very good with no issue from oxidation or infection. I have a batch of imperial porter still unopened that I brewed 8 years ago.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is a GREAT idea. I'm hoping to have my first child soon and am now planning on the same thing. Might be a good idea to make both a BW and RIS.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Quick Reply