Sulfur smell with fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Hi I'm making a blueberry wheat. I already added 5 lbs of blueberries to the boil, and primary fermentation is over. It has a really strong sulphur/cheesy smell. I read this can happen with ciders, and since this beer has so much fruit in it I figure that's what it is. Yeast is some of the saved trub from a previous beer made with Cal Ale and US-05, which are the same strain I think.

In ciders one solution is to aerate it to get rid of the smell, but what about beer?

If anyone else's had this problem, splash raking worked.

Some wheat yeast strains give off a sulfur smell...ex: wyeast 1010 (american wheat) but you used a american ale yeast to make a wheat beer...so thats probably not it...

Yeah I have had that happen with my fruit beer. A way to cut down on the smell is to put the fruit in the secondary.

I don't know if this would cause the smell, but the normal guidance on fruit beers is that you pasteruize the fruit but don't boil it.

Latest posts

Back