Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Suggestions for low ABV beers for company function

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Suggestions for low ABV beers for company function

Greetings!

My CEO asked me to brew a couple batches for a Oktoberfest / Family Day at the company. I have 2 months. The CEO said to make sure it wasn't too high ABV, so we don;t have to worry too much about tipsy folks.

I have a great American Amber, dry hopped and amazingly floral. It is at 6.5%, so might be a little too strong.

Any suggestions? I can't lager, and don't keg if that makes any difference to the suggestions. Looking for the 5.5% ABV area.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Why not just back down the amber ale a bit? Pull back the recipe so that it's in the 5% - 5.5% range, cut back on the hops more-or-less proportionately so it doesn't get too far out of balance. American-ambers are great crowd-pleasers, a don't have to be high alcohol at all.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Orfy's mild-mannered ale will set you free.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is this more an Oktoberfest, or a family day function? If there's a vaguely German theme to it perhaps you could do an Altbier aiming for a SG right around 1.046 (hell, lower if you want this to be as family friendly as possible). Obviously not a traditional Oktoberfestbier but a Marzen is out of the question and I doubt anyone would complain anyway.

Modifying your amber ale to be one or two percent lower would probably be a-ok too.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

More of a family day function, but as it is Oct 29th and we were recently purchased by a German company it seemed fitting.

I think I will lighten the Amber I have, because it is damned tasty. Will look into Altbier or a Mild.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It would probably be wise to go with a modified version of a recipe you're familiar with. Still, being brave and experimenting is always good.

Dunno how I forgot to mention it originally but you could also consider brewing some sort of Weizen - whether that be Hefe, Dunkel, oder Krystal - if you're interesting in going with a non-lager German style. Very easy beers to make too. Again, just aim for being low on the SG (about 1.044 in this case).

Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Not quite German, but I recently did this blue moon clone which I think will be pretty good (I'm impatiently waiting for it to finish carbonating.) ABV is about 4.8% and is one of those easy to drink beers.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Crustovsky, I was thinking about that too. I have Dunkel that is awaiting bottling, if it turns out good then I will go with that. Probably mod the Amber as well.

Copyright1997, I may look into that recipe. Looks tasty, and would be well received!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
Crustovsky, I was thinking about that too. I have Dunkel that is awaiting bottling, if it turns out good then I will go with that. Probably mod the Amber as well.

Copyright1997, I may look into that recipe. Looks tasty, and would be well received!
Just tried the first one and it is Zeer goed (very good). [Do they speak Dutch or German in the beer producing region of Belgium?]

Here's a not so great picture (I had a sip and also let it sit a minute or so, at pouring the head was just right). The color is darker than a Blue Moon because I used liquid extract from a True Brew Wheat Kit that I had laying around. (If you did this as All Grain the color should be spot on.) All I can say is it went down nice and easy and I wish that I had more chilled (I did some in bottles, some in keg but only put one bottle in the refrigerator to test if it was ready.) I brewed this on August 4th.
img_0977.jpg  

Quick Reply