Suggestion needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So my father in-law really likes my beer. He especially likes fruit beers. He love my Raspberry Wheat that i got from midwest and he really enjoys Tundra Berry from Tommyknockers.

What would be another good fruit beer that I can brew easily? I thought of using that blood orange hefe someone on here made but cant find the recipe

thanks

sounds interesting but dont know how well watermellon and beer go together

Cherries go really well with a wheat base...I usually add about 3 lbs to the primary, then another 3 lbs later on (late primary, or could be put in secondary.) I'm sure you could use the base of your raspberry wheat and do this too. (I use frozen whole cherries from the supermarket...thaw and puree before adding...putting them in a nylon or muslin sack is a good idea to help contain the mess...)

How about a wit? You can get a lemony/orange-y zip using spice instead of actual fruit.

There are two types of fruit beer. Are you looking for the type from an extract, Which Would be a light highly aroma based beer or a real Fruit beer with tons of fruit flavor slightly sweeter finish. Once you decide what type you want, then look at what it's going to take to get there. If it's fruit extract based what kind of extract and how much. If it's a heavy fruit beer, Then how are you going to find the 11 pound per 5 gallon batch necessary to make the full fruit beer? Yes, It takes 11 pounds of fruit to make 5 gallon batch. There are some shortcut's like sour cherry concentrate that we have in the grocery store now.

Here's a recipe of mine I suggested to someone a few days back for a "refreshing summer beer." It tastes like a cross between a typical belgian wit and sweet ruby red grapefruit juice. I think it's a result of the mix of orange peel and strawberries. Either way, it's pretty effin delicious.

Here's the recipe:

Here's a crowd pleaser for the summer. The ladies love it too as I came up with it from toying with BierMuncher's classic SWMBO Slayer. I call it "Evil Charlie's Dog Drool." Long story behind the name which I won't get into.

charliesample.jpg

(^My awesome photoshop skills at work for the label)

5.5 gallon boil
O.G. - 1.058

Fermentables
* 2.00 lbs Flaked Wheat steeped in for 60 minutes before boil @ 150F
* 3.00 lbs Light Pilsen DME for 60 minutes of boil
* 3.00 lbs Bavarian Wheat LME for 60 minutes boil

Hops
* 1.2 oz Willamette (4.7% Alpha Acid) for 60 minutes of boil

Yeast
* Wyeast 3944 - Belgian Wit yeast

Misc
* 0.50 lbs Dark Belgian beet rock candi @ the start of the boil
* 0.50 lbs White Belgian rock candi (Yeah, I mix em. It's just what I do.)
* 1.00 oz Sweet orange peel added @ 30 minutes of boil
* 4.00 lbs of frozen strawberries added to secondary fermentor before racking

Notes:

*Honestly I don't really worry about the gravity readings at this point anymore. I just brew it and it comes out pretty dang good every time. IIRC it's about a 6% ABV beer. Just make sure to do the primary fermentation with a blow-off tube or you will have a potential yeasty/grainy mess the next morning after brew day. Fair warning.

*Blanche the strawberries after thawing them properly. Blanching involves putting the strawberries into boiling water for 2 minutes or so. This has the desired effect of both pasteurizing them and softening them up to get them to release their sweet, sweet nectar.

*I typically do the primary fermentation for 2-3 weeks before racking to secondary on top of the strawberries. Then I let them sit with the strawberries in the secondary fermentor for a single week. This is a quick beer and honestly it is best enjoyed sooner rather than later. This is a beer for the impatient brewer. I have seen this beer be fully carbed after a mere 4-5 days after bottling.

:mug::fro::tank::cross::drunk:

There are two types of fruit beer. Are you looking for the type from an extract, Which Would be a light highly aroma based beer or a real Fruit beer with tons of fruit flavor slightly sweeter finish.
Urgh...I personally don't think extracts belong anywhere near beer, but to each their own... My experience has been that extracts taste phony, and I've always made better beer with real fruit. As long as you add fruit after primary fermentation, you should get plenty of aroma as well as flavor. (It does tend to come out seeming a little more sweet this way, as you mentioned; however, I've never found it to be cloying, as long as the beer otherwise was well attenuated.)

...Then how are you going to find the 11 pound per 5 gallon batch necessary to make the full fruit beer? Yes, It takes 11 pounds of fruit to make 5 gallon batch....

I'd respectfully disagree...as per my previous post, you can make a fine cherry beer with 6 lbs of frozen cherries. I've also done a strawberry wheat with the same protocol (6 lbs frozen/pureed berries) and had excellent results.
I think the amount of fruit will definitely vary though, depending on the fruit. Cherries are pretty strong flavored, but I've read (never done one myself...) that blueberries are pretty subtle, and that you need a lot more to get recognizable flavor.

wow. thanks for all the suggestions. i will have to think about them

Back