Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Suggest a resource for standard beer style descriptions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Suggest a resource for standard beer style descriptions

Can anybody recommend a book that provides the standard descriptions/qualities for each kind of beer style? Is there such a book?

I know what I like, and what tastes good to me, and I generally know when I'm drinking a hefe, IPA, stout, etc without checking the label. But, I'm wondering if there are standards that describe each style and prevent someone from calling their "pale ale" an "IPA" or tell you when you have crossed the line between a "Belgian Dubbel" and a "Belgian Tripel"?

Is there a book or other resource somewhere I can turn to to learn the qualifying characteristics for each style of beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

BJCP.org - Style Guidelines

These are the guidelines used by the BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program). Any beer competition is judged according to these guidelines.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

First off, the Bjcp Style guide goes into info on the major styles and includes lists of commercial beers of each style. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

And the book by Jamil and John Palmer, gives recipes for each style. http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Classi.../dp/0937381926

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wow, quick replies, thanks!

Quick Reply