Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Suggest a Brew for My Wife

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
babalu87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hefeweizen

Of course, unless there are about 6 oz of hops in my beers the wife looks at me like WTF!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Yeah, I kind of feel that unless you find a style she really likes, I wouldn't brew anything specifically for her. Take her somewhere that offers a large sampler tray, like a brewpub or a bar that specializes in having a ridiculous number of beers on tap. Also, have her try some cider, mead, graff or apfelwein (the latter two would be rather hard to find commercially.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislehr View Post
Austin Homebrew Supply has a Honey Hibiscus Wit that is awesome. It's also kind of reddish/pink.
That beer looks awesome! You should post that in the "Pink Beer" thread... the OP would certainly appreciate that ^_^

I have been thinking about doing a hibiscus weissbier of some kind and really want that color to come out. I have a hibiscus just about to bloom; how much hibiscus came with the kit?

EDIT: Your dog is super adorable!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If your wife doesn't like beer yet, homebrew is highly unlikely to sway her. You best bet will be to start buying good quality commercial beer until you find a style she likes. Once she starts drinking "a" beer style, then you can start expanding her horizons.

With a very few exceptions, homebrewed beers are not nearly as good or a clean tasting as a well done commercial beer. If you are just starting out, your best bet will be to get a beer foot in the door, then expand her horizons.

For example, my wife loves beer, yet she rarely finds my beer good enough to tempt her away from the craft beers she likes. Remember, you think your beer is awesome because you made it, to others it is just beer, and yours isn't likely the best thing available.

I would try some wheat beers, Oktoberfests, pils, or maybe some sour beers. You never know what people will like and I have found that those who are convinced they don't like beer often end up liking counterintuitive things. My best example, is that women who think beer is gross will often really like IPAs if you don't set them up for failure. Point out the interesting notes (floral, pine, herbal, etc. ) not "thgis is crazy bitter and hard core!". Presentation is a huge part of getting people into new things.

That, or follow Yoop's advice and just make something she does like.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
That beer looks awesome! You should post that in the "Pink Beer" thread... the OP would certainly appreciate that ^_^

I have been thinking about doing a hibiscus weissbier of some kind and really want that color to come out. I have a hibiscus just about to bloom; how much hibiscus came with the kit?

EDIT: Your dog is super adorable!
I think it was 4 oz of dried flowers for the 5 gallon batch.

Thanks. Rusty is an awesome pooch. He's real smart too. He's my garage/brewing partner.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #25
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think for some women it's the bitterness they don't like (at least among my friends).

Has she tried Unibroe Ephemere? That has a lot of carbonation and also a lot of apple taste, that might be sparkly and fruity enough for her.. (and there's a few clone recipes out there for it).

... and I would also like to dispell the notion that women like fruity beers.

In general, I don't drink anything with fruit in it unless it's a lambic. I've never been a big fan of commercially brewed fruity beers, except for Unibroue's Ephemere (and that's probably because my taste buds love the wacky over-the-top carbonation and phenolics their beer seems to have)

Bud Light is the "making love in a canoe" beer as far as I'm concerned, it's on par with Zima (which a LOT of women used to drink back in the day).

Maybe she likes "corny" beers.. you could try a Mexican-style lager?

Anyway, from a female perspective, I disliked most beer until I tried my first Belgian (I seem to recall it was Chimay Red) - and it was an instant favorite. The caramel and fruit I tasted in that beer was like some sort of magical elixir (little did I know that it was the yeast and not actual fruit). Have you tried Victory's "Golden Monkey" - I think that's a rather nice beer that someone new to tasting might enjoy.

Last edited by Mermaid; 07-05-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #26
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Has she tried Unibroe Ephemere? That has a lot of carbonation and also a lot of apple taste, that might be sparkly and fruity enough for her.. (and there's a few clone recipes out there for it).
Funny you mention that one. I got a 4 pack of this for us yesterday, and she's had two already.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #27
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislehr View Post
Funny you mention that one. I got a 4 pack of this for us yesterday, and she's had two already.
Win!!

Now if you end up making a clone, let us all know how it turns out! (I'm thinking I would love to clone this someday myself)

Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #28
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabrewery View Post
What beer do your wives/girlfriends like to drink?
My wife's favorite beer is my rye IPA. AAMOF, it was developed specifically to her tastes. She's a tiny thing, but if it isn't 1.070 OG and have at least 70 IBUs, she's not interested.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #29
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

everybody's tastebuds is different.
my g/f likes the BMC styles for the most part, and I get her to try my beers as well as other beers that I buy along the way. she doesn't do full body shivers when she tries IPAs anymore, which is good, but she still doesn't really care for most of them.

I think one of the problems is she doesn't know what she does/doesn't like about the beers. my wheat beer was too hoppy? my pale ale too dark and heavy, etc.

she has said in the past the she doesn't like any wheat beers, but she'll drink an bells oberon anytime she gets the chance.

i'd suggest having her try different beers you can buy and find out what she likes and doesn't like and try and help her understand the differences...if he wants to

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #30
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Wild Blue blueberry lager. My wife doesn't like most beers, but she likes this one.

unfortunately it's made by Busch, but it doesn't taste like busch, lucky for her

Quick Reply