Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Suggest a Brew for My Wife

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
ameliabrewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Suggest a Brew for My Wife

I have an awesome wife! We are new to brewing. She helps me brew and bottle our beers even though she is not a beer drinker. She tastes each of our brews and has yet to find one she likes. Unfortunately she tried a Bud Lime, arrrrrgh!, and she kinda liked it.

Help me find a beer she would like. She does not like the hoppiness of our pale ales and does not like the dark beers like porters or stouts.

What beer do your wives/girlfriends like to drink?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

If she doesn't like beer, then why make a beer for her? Why not make an Island Mist wine kit (they are like wine coolers and come in all kinds of fruity flavors), or some hard cider, hard lemonade, or a big bold red wine, if she likes those? Even a non-alcoholic drink, like ginger ale or root beer, would make her feel special and probably be very much enjoyed. And they need to be bottled, so she could still do much of the work of it, too.

I don't mean to sound insensitive at all, but so many guys want to make beer that their wives will like. If people don't like beer, then making one for them is kind of pointless in my opinion.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Chuck_Swillery
Recipes 

My wife was the same way, anything similar to what your girlfriend like was her go-to brew. I had her try McKewan's Scottish ale to I was shocked she liked it. As I continued in brewing she loved my pale ale which I thought was a bit underhopped. I brewed a Magic Hat #9 clone and she really likes that. Most HBS's will have good descriptions of the anticipated flavor profiles in their kits. Shop around and find one with medium maltiness and low hop. Go for it. She'll learn to like "real" beer. LOL

Good point Yopper!

Will run for beer...

Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
doodeyfoodle
Recipes 

My girlfriend loves wheat beers. She really likes Kawartha Lake Brewery Raspberry Wheat Beer and St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale. I don't know if you'll be able to find either of those in Virginia, but wheat beers with natural fruit flavourings are probably a good bet.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

If you have tried an APA, a stout, a wheat beer, a sweet fruit lambi (lindemans) etc, she probably just doesn't like beer.

The most successful conversion I have ever seen was a woman who hated all beer other than lindemans. The first time I saw her drink more than a sip of anything else was a batch of Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter that I brewed. I moved away and when I saw her two years later she was downing IPAs and imperial stouts. I have no idea what happened.

In either case, you can't and shouldn't want to force someone to like beer, but it can happen. Just let her taste everything you are drinking, if she wants.

Definitely start brewing cider, mead, wine etc. She is bound to like one of those. Mead is awesome. I hate to admit it but when it is available I find myself more excited to drink beer than mead these days.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Benjibbad
Recipes 

I agree with yooper on this one. Why not make an island mist and carb it up for her. BTW Yooper my wife loved your yellow fizzy beer so much I had to make it for a breast cancer benefit she was hosting!

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I disagree with wine coolers, but what I do agree with are wheat beers. I've never found a person who doesn't like a good wheat beer. Heck, I wouldn't do anything fancy such as a Wit, I'd just brew a good ol lightly hopped wheat beer.

Here's a good one http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-...eweizen-35679/.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
I disagree with wine coolers, but what I do agree with are wheat beers. I've never found a person who doesn't like a good wheat beer. Heck, I wouldn't do anything fancy such as a Wit, I'd just brew a good ol lightly hopped wheat beer.

Here's a good one http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-...eweizen-35679/.
True, there ARE some people who love wheat beers. I hate them. If she's not tried one, though, it would be worth a shot. I'd probably buy one before making a whole 5 gallon batch. If she likes wheat beers, a low hopped American wheat would probably work.

Hefeweizens are a different ball game, though. The yeast has a very distinct character that people either love or hate. I tried one hefeweizen I didn't hate as much as some of the others- I think it was by Magic Hat.

They still taste like beer, though, so if she doesn't like beer she probably won't like them.

I don't mean to sound like a "downer" at all. I'm just thinking of my reactions here. If there is something I don't like, my husband knows not to try to push me into liking it. If your wife is willing to take sips of the stuff you make, then that's better than many other guys. I know that if Bob kept badgering me to like something that I didn't, I doubt I would ever come around. But a gradually introduction to the stuff YOU like, and perhaps something totally different for her, might be a good way to go.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a girlfriend who didn't like the aftertaste in beer. I tried seeing if I could broaden her horizons past cider beers and lambics (the only beers she'd consistantly drink). I did try real hard to see if I could make an ah ha beer that we might drink together. I'm not a fan of wheat beers, but I made one for her. She wound up not liking it until I put a lot of raspberries in it. I also made a milk stout loaded with a lb of lactose that she enjoyed if it was cold enough. After awhile, we gave up on trying to find a mutual brew. We'd drink wine together...and if we went to a beer place, she'd find her lambic or cider beer.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #10
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Brew this Summer Lime Wit. She'll like it.

Briess Pilsen 3lb
Briess Vienna Malt 1lb
Briess White Wheat Malt 4lb
Flaked Rice 1lb
Mash at 155 for 1h
Goldings hops 4.4% for 60min
Goldings hops 4.4% for 5min
1tsp irish moss for 20min
S04 dry yeast
Ferment at 67F
Zest from 2 limes added to primary

OG=1.043