Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sugar in the Raw/Cane Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
McMalty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Sugar in the Raw/Cane Sugar

So a recipe i used called for cane sugar. That's a pretty broad category, so i did a little research and decided to use what i thought was the purest version available at the grocery store, Sugar in the Raw. I just figured that the less processing, the better; i don't really like putting very processed ingredients in my brew.

Those of you who have brewed with cane sugar, what form did you use and why?

"Life's short. Drink a lot of beer." -Randolph McMalty

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
genes
Recipes 

See my thread on Tepache Mead. I have a batch going now. Have only sampled a little here and there so I'm not sure of the final flavor. I can tell you that it has been a month and is still fermenting.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

I got some organic raw demerara, i wouldnt mind priming with sometime,i like the unique taste but wouldnt expect much from it in a brew or priming.Dark candied belgian sugar sounds interesting to brew with.Cane sugars are best used up to 20% in high gravity beers. I used a little dextrose in a pilsner ale which i wanted it dry crisp and light.
I understand your reasoning on over processed foods but i dont think the yeast care much about that in fact i believe they thrive on refined sugars.I just dont plan on using sugar much.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
genes
Recipes 

Forgot to mention that I used Sugar In The Raw aka turbinado sugar because of it's molasses content. Figured it would contribute to the flavor.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Before we give you advice, what type of beer are you brewing, why do you want to use it, and at what point in the process, in the boil, in primary, secondary or at priming.

I've used every sugar imaginable in various forms and at various stages, and I use different one's for different things.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
McMalty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Before we give you advice, what type of beer are you brewing, why do you want to use it, and at what point in the process, in the boil, in primary, secondary or at priming.

I've used every sugar imaginable in various forms and at various stages, and I use different one's for different things.
brewed an IIPA, its a Southern Tier Unearthly clone. I'm using it b/c it's in the recipe; most of their imperials have some sort of adjunct. Poured in a pound at the beginning of the boil (60 mins)

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Southern tier probably used white sugar as opposed to anything with any mollases/carmalization happening. The darker the sugar the more residual flavors left behind after the yeast eats it. In terms of boosting alcohol/drying the beer out/bumping gravity without bumping body white table sugar would be the "purest" if by purest you mean not contributing any flavors to it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I use GH Pure Cane Sugar. On the box it says it is made from 100% cane & nothing else. Anytime you change something from one form to another, it is a "process" so I guess this stuff is processed but unless they are using some sort of chemical, I think I have a pretty good product. Oh, and my beer tastes great!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
McMalty
Recipes 

by "pure" I mean less processed.

Larry, what is "GH" pure cane sugar? is that a store brand?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
by "pure" I mean less processed.

Larry, what is "GH" pure cane sugar? is that a store brand?
My bad, should have put my glasses on. It's C&H here's the link
C&H Sugar
I get the 4lb carton

Quick Reply