Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sugar content of different styles of beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
S.T. Out
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sugar content of different styles of beer?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for information on the sugar content of the main styles of beer (Pilsner, Pale Ale, IPA, Porter, Stout, Barley Wine).

I'm guessing that the higher the alcohol the more sugar in the beer.

Why does a beer that is high in alcohol have to be high in sugar? Is it possible to make it so the yeast eat most of it up keeping the final sugar content down but the alcohol high?

Anyhow, just trying to understand. I'd like to make more tasty beers that are lower in sugar content. And I'm pretty sure it just has to do with how much grain you add to begin with. Thanks.

~S.T. Out

Grandpa Joe: The man was a genius. Did you know he invented a new way of making chocolate stout so that it stays cold for hours without a refrigerator. You can even leave it sitting in the sun on a hot day and it wont go warm.

Charlie: But thats impossible.

Grandpa Joe: Willy Wonka did it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Most beers have very little sugar in them when finished. The main exception is sweet stouts where lactose has been added. There it is added specifically because any fermentable sugar is consumed by the yeast. You might want to read over the style guide, if you haven't done so already.

A few people find maltodextrine sweet, most people don't.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-29-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
S.T. Out
Recipes 

I should clarify that when I say "sugar" I mean any kind of sugar, such as the malt sugar from the grains. I'm not asking about how much sugar is in beers that actually have it added (like some belgians) in some form.

~S.T. Out

Grandpa Joe: The man was a genius. Did you know he invented a new way of making chocolate stout so that it stays cold for hours without a refrigerator. You can even leave it sitting in the sun on a hot day and it wont go warm.

Charlie: But thats impossible.

Grandpa Joe: Willy Wonka did it.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To get the most sugar converted to alcohol you'll have to look for a yeast that ferments out "dry".

Look for recipes that ferment out below 1.010.

They can still be low in alcohol, but the ratio of sugar turned to alcohol is what you're asking about.

Quick Reply