Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Duffy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sugar

I'm still new to homebrewing here, but starting to understand it a bit more. Me and jimmypop13 are roommates and having a challege to see who can make the best tasting light beer for beer pong. We can't asking for recipes on here, bt I can ask on sugar. I know rice solids are used, and so are corn sugar. I'm wondering what will give the lightest flavor, with good abv. Somthing like mich ultra light. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It's a lager type beer. It wont be easy to brew one of these if you've never brewed before, notably because lagers need a cooler environment (48F-55F) for fermentation than ales (60-75F), and a place to lager the beer for extended periods of time (~35F for 30 days'ish).

Is your question about how to use sugar and rice syrup in order to make beer?

Just get some extract and don't add a lot of it. "good abv" and "light beer" are mutually exclusive, IMHO.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

You are going to want to go with rice if you want minimal flavor and go up to 25%+.

If you aren't an excellent light lager brewer, and if you are asking about adjuncts you are not, I would go the cream ale angle. It is going to a bit fruity but that's better than a bad light lager.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

You are going to want to go with rice if you want minimal flavor and go up to 25%+.

If you aren't an excellent light lager brewer, and if you are asking about adjuncts you are not, I would go the cream ale angle. It is going to a bit fruity but that's better than a bad light lager.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy85 View Post
I'm still new to homebrewing here, but starting to understand it a bit more. Me and jimmypop13 are roommates and having a challege to see who can make the best tasting light beer for beer pong. We can't asking for recipes on here, bt I can ask on sugar. I know rice solids are used, and so are corn sugar. I'm wondering what will give the lightest flavor, with good abv. Somthing like mich ultra light. Thanks
I would buy a case of american light and brew a nice oatmeal chocolate stout to enjoy at the end of the night...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Duffy85
Recipes 

I know doing a lager is the trail I need to travel. But I live in Texas and don't have a basement so the temp is the problem. If it was winter I think I could do it. I may have to get a little crappy fridge and set it up to put the bucket in there

Quick Reply